Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Is tailgating a valid way of using rabbit?

Especially when it comes to LIDAR because the LEO doesn't even have a clear view of the front end of your car?

Radar Fanatic

Tailgating isn't the best way. What the LEO may do is clock the vehicle in front and pull over the tailgater, writing him up for both speeding and following too closely. While the LEO technically didn't get the tailgaters speed, he can easily lie and say he did.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01
    While the LEO technically didn't get the tailgaters speed, he can easily lie and say he did.
    What if you fight the ticket at court, doesn't he need to provide hard evidence of you speeding?

Radar Fanatic

i read in news stories (who knows how accurate they are) that lidar guns can be used to measure the distance between vehicles to find tailgaters. i doubt this is true and i'm sure someone will chime in, but if it is true then the officer could pull you over for tail gating.

i've been pulled over 3 times now in situations like this. 1 time the officer pulled me over and said I was tail gating. i told him i had my signal on and was changing lanes and to do so I had to get close to the vehicle since there wasn't enough space. he wrote me a fix it ticket. 2) i was behind a vehicle and wasn't tailgating. the officer radars the vehicle in front of me then pulls me over giving me the speeding ticket because he was to lazy to go after the vehicle in front of me. 3) i was surrounded by cars in all lanes in traffic and I got lidared for speeding. I'm sure there was some sort of error cuz he could have pulled over the vehicle in front of me or behind me or to the right of me since all where going the same speed. I'm fighting this one currently.

Either way, following a vehicle will not avoid a ticket. I know first hand.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lordhawhaw
    What if you fight the ticket at court, doesn't he need to provide hard evidence of you speeding?
    Yes they do but in many of these bench trial speeding cases which I've observed it comes down to your word vs. the LEOs word. The LEOs are more than happy to make up BS and the judge will often accept it. One of the recent trials I sat through came down to this:

Defendant: I was not radared/lasered, therefore the officer did not have a right to stop me.
    LEO: Based on observation while I was stationary, I estimated the speed to be 53mph in a 30mph zone.
    Judge: GUILTY!

:roll: :roll:

Power User

Both times I was doing like 10+ PSL, and my tailgater got pulled over, lol. One of them the guy was flashing his high beams at me thinking that I was gonna get pulled over instead of him

Experienced

Great idea but what happens if your rabbit hits his / her breaks hard?? Not only will get to enjoy the moment of going through your windshield but you will get to relive that triumphet moment .2 seconds later through the rabbit's back window. And my gosh, what if the rabbit is some ugly hag?? You realize she might be the one sucking your face, I mean, performing C.P.R. on you?? What a way to go, I mean, to go though not one but two windows and then end up having some overly used wretch sucking your face as you slip into the here after only because YOU wanted to be up close to a rabbits ass end. For the love of all mankind, fork out the extra bucks and get a laser jammer. Or just pay the fine, it might even be a cute LEO that pulls you over. But do not kill yourself enjoying a brisk little ride for Petes sake.

Speed Demon

It doesn't have to be BS, exactly. If you are right up close on the vehicle that is clocked, so that LEO can see that you're going the same speed...voila, he's got you both, two for one.

To use Rabbit effectively, you want to follow at such a distance that LEO targets Rabit, and turns on his lights to pursue rabit before you're there to become a distraction.

This is easier on the highway, obviously, than in the city. What I do when I find a good Rabit --one going the speed I want, and steadily so, I get close enough (3, or 4 seconds behind him) to be able to easily match his speed with my cruise control, then I disengage cruise to drop wayyyyy back, then hit "resume". Presto, I'm locked in, but safely way back.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Doc What, son?
    It doesn't have to be BS, exactly. If you are right up close on the vehicle that is clocked, so that LEO can see that you're going the same speed...voila, he's got you both, two for one.

To use Rabbit effectively, you want to follow at such a distance that LEO targets Rabit, and turns on his lights to pursue rabit before you're there to become a distraction.
    Exactly. Nailing the front car and reasoning visually that the tailgater is keeping the same distance consistently ==> tailgater is going at same speed.... I highly doubt that logic can be challenged too well in traffic court

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Doc What, son?

This is easier on the highway, obviously, than in the city. What I do when I find a good Rabit --one going the speed I want, and steadily so, I get close enough (3, or 4 seconds behind him) to be able to easily match his speed with my cruise control, then I disengage cruise to drop wayyyyy back, then hit "resume". Presto, I'm locked in, but safely way back.
    EXCELLENT strategy!!! 8)