Good Citizen

Default Question about VEIL

I just bought the new V1, it's coming in shortly. I also bought the VEIL/License plate cover from Radar Busters. I do realize all items are illegal in VA, but I have some questions:

1) Is veil a clear substance? How can the cops find out if I have veil on or not?
    2) What about the plate cover, is it completely clear?

Thanks,
    Dan

Professional

VEIL is more like a grey/light purple clear liquid. It dries to a clear haze. The only way a cop can tell you have it on is how sloppy it was done. You could tell the officer that it protects yours headlights from road debri. DONT ADMIT it to him what it is. He will ask you what it is and tell him its an application that protects your lights. He just trying to get you to admit so he has evidence.

Professional

Forgot. Laser Shield can be seen but if your bumper has bottom screw holes. Put screws in the bottom as well as the top. This will make the plate cover closer to the plate and make it less noticible.

Good Citizen

Thanks man. Hopefully it'll look a bit lighter than it seems on this review (scroll to the middle):
    http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=10056

I'll most likely try this out though, and change them after they slap a non-moving violation on me.

Power User

Default Re: Question about VEIL

Quote Originally Posted by dgessler
    I just bought the new V1, it's coming in shortly. I also bought the VEIL/License plate cover from Radar Busters. I do realize all items are illegal in VA, but I have some questions:

1) Is veil a clear substance? How can the cops find out if I have veil on or not?
    2) What about the plate cover, is it completely clear?

Thanks,
    Dan
    I recommend getting a black license plate frame(frame reduces the plate surface too) and the laser shield. Put the laser shield on your front plate and the frame around it. Only put Veil on your lights and other reflective surfaces. Laser shield is hardly noticable, you can only see it on your front plate from real close up. Veil is definatly noticable on your plate and I recommend using the laser shield without Veil on it.

BTW, 95% of Fairfax county uses Laser and some pacing(They have a completely unmarked stealth Camaro, Ram 1500, Ford F250 and who knows what else). I have only seen Fairfax motorcycle cops with radar when driving in that county. State cops and town cops use a lot of radar though.

Good Citizen

Yikes. Thanks for clarifying some points stealthJamal. I thought it was necessary to apply the VEIL on the laser shield.

As of right now, by early this week I will be in possession of a V1, VEIL'ed headlights, foglights, and also a laser shield on my front plates.

In the opinion of others, is this "radar jammer" stuff worth it? Apparently the M-20 costs around $350, but if it prevents detection 100% and is 100% un-detectable by cops, it's probably worth it, right? Is the install the catch?

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Dan

Power User

Veil on the laser shield will be slightly more effective in reducing the targeting range of the laser gun, but you have to balance that with how noticable you want your front plate to be. I like mine to look like everyone else's.

Blinder Xtreme M20 is a laser jammer, not a radar jammer. The FCC regulates radar and radar jammers are very illegal with big penalties. The FDA regulates laser. Laser jammers are class 1 lasers which anyone is allowed to own, however states can make there own laws banning the use of them.

If you have never owned a detector before, driving in Maryland is good place to find some sneaky difficult to detect speed traps you won't normally find in VA. In Maryland, you can get some good experience on how to identify and avoid instant-on radar traps. Lots of laser too. Hell, one time I saw a tractor trailer on the side of the road in MD that looked like it was broke down. The back gate of the trailer was slightly open. Them Maryland boyz were lasering people out the back of it!

Experienced

Yikes. Thanks for clarifying some points stealthJamal. I thought it was necessary to apply the VEIL on the laser shield.

As of right now, by early this week I will be in possession of a V1, VEIL'ed headlights, foglights, and also a laser shield on my front plates.

In the opinion of others, is this "radar jammer" stuff worth it? Apparently the M-20 costs around $350, but if it prevents detection 100% and is 100% un-detectable by cops, it's probably worth it, right? Is the install the catch?

Dan
    The Blinder appears to be very impressive in testing, that said, it is expensive, it isn't easy to install, and you'll have to replace the lens every few months, as rock chips will inhibit the jammers performance. Also it must always be mounted correctly to work.

Should you get one?

Well if you use StealthJamal's advice, and have a dark colored car with non-metallic paint, you may squeak by. If you have a white or light colored car and want protection, get a jammer.

Old Timer

Dan
    its not radar jammers, its laser jammers, but if laser is used in your area, blinder is def worth it. It only takes 1 ticket to pay the blinder off.

As for not being detectable, blinder claims not to give out error codes, but this isnt always true. I would worry about jamming codes though, usually you can slow down and have the thing turned off before they start getting the error codes.

My opinion, this is the best & most consistant jammer out on the market today.

Good Citizen

Thanks. So there is no way a cop can see you are using a jammer besides looking through your grill? As long as you switch the jammer off quickly? Are there any indications a savvy cop can use to suspect me of using a jammer? Actually I'm probably leaning more towards not getting the jammer. Maybe with my next car, but with 150k miles racked up on my 99 maxima, it's probably not the smartest investment just in case.

I have a light colored car (lightish gray), but I was thinking about putting up a full bra on the front of my car, but i'm not sure whether I'll like how it looks, though.

Thanks,
    Dan