Thread: question...

Newcomer

Default question...

i am new to having a radar detector, so i have a few questions...

1. i have a bel 995 and love it. but im wondering if anyone knows how well the range is. how far can it detect radar (and laser)

2. i live in oregon (central), and am wondering what the police and troopers use for radar. what is the most common used one

thanks,

-matt

Experienced

Default Re: question...

Quote Originally Posted by mattruett
    i am new to having a radar detector, so i have a few questions...

1. i have a bel 995 and love it. but im wondering if anyone knows how well the range is. how far can it detect radar (and laser)

2. i live in oregon (central), and am wondering what the police and troopers use for radar. what is the most common used one

thanks,

-matt
    Well for radar the longest it would be is about ten miles, but under very ideal circumstances. As for laser not so much, you would be lucky to get a plate shot from 1000'. Check out the 04 sml results at Roys site. I think these tests will give you a better idea on range then the new 05 results but they're on that site too if you want to look at them. As for Oregon, you can almost bet on K and KA. The X and laser are possible. I believe their is a post on what states use running around here somewhere. If you're patient enough im sure someone has the link.

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...04/Default.asp

Good Citizen

On my 995 driving around the city the other day got a K alert from about 1.5 miles away in traffic behind a big truck. The detection range on the 995 is very good got X band from a good ways away did not gage the distance though. Had one laser encounter it did not let me down. Still haven't seen no Ka yet know for sure a couple of the police cars here in town run them just haven't had the oppurtunity to find out the range on this band but everything so far has been nothing short of awesome.

fireant

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by fireant
    On my 995 driving around the city the other day got a K alert from about 1.5 miles away in traffic behind a big truck. The detection range on the 995 is very good got X band from a good ways away did not gage the distance though. Had one laser encounter it did not let me down. Still haven't seen no Ka yet know for sure a couple of the police cars here in town run them just haven't had the oppurtunity to find out the range on this band but everything so far has been nothing short of awesome.

fireant
    Really? I go to OKC all the time and on 35 going down I see the Hwy patrol running instant on KA, same in okc along with K. Funny thing is I'd say that 80% of the time there are no officers from Wichita to OKC, well at least in OK.

Good Citizen

Ohp is very short handed friend of mine says they have two to three troopers on duty per county at a time. This may have changed but they are retiring faster than they can get the money set aside to hire them so no suprise you don't see any. I went up to Kansas couple months ago did not see any law enforcement until I got in Kansas.

fireant