Default Installing Laser antenna question

Hi, Noob here. I am going to install a remote Radar/Laser detector & have a few questions about antenna placement. I plan to place the external radar antenna as high as I can get it in the grill, but the laser antenna is a bit more complicated. I got a remote system, Whistler Pro 3450 (I know it's not the best, but it's affordable) because I don't want a unit in my windshield. I have heard that, for best reception, the laser pickup should be mounted low in the front window, in order to catch the beam as the headlights or license plate is targeted. First, is this true & second, how important is it for the pickup to see rearward. My rear window is heavily tinted (don't know the %) & how often is laser targeted from behind? As I said, I'm new to all this, but I am learning a lot from sites like this one & pride myself on doing things properly. In fact, if I am not happy with this unit I may try to do a concealed install of a V1 or similar. I just don't want to clutter up my dash or windshield at all. That's why I want to install the laser sensor as invisibly as possible.
    BTW I have an '04 Traiblazer, if that makes a difference in antenna placement.
    Edit: OK read Bob Vanentine's piece on Laser antenna placement & he likes it high in the windshield for early alert.
    Last edited by bugeyed; 06-27-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Power User
    My Home

PM Michael B. He may be able to tell you what to do in your situation.