Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default armor all or other???

i notice that,like my dash in the sun, my detector gets super hot on the windshield - does anyone "protect" the exterior with armor all or similar produt?

Radar Fanatic

Yeah, they take it down and store it somewhere in the car.

Default so is that a "NO"?

nt

Radar Fanatic

Mount it high in the shade.

As far as your dash... use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Armorall sucks.

Experienced

If you are using a BEL STi or a Valentine1 you might have already fried your detector. The I.C. chipset both detectors use are extremely sensitive to heat and once they sit on the windshield, in a hot car, with the windows up well oops. The STi has been known to sometimes work once it cools back down, not so for the V1. And I would not coat a detector with anything across its antennas. Take it down when not using it.

Yoda of Radar

It's the electronics inside that detector that are vulnerable, not the cheap plastic on the outside. No "protectant" is going to protect those, unless you include aluminium foil.

Leaving that thing up in your unattended car, no matter what the weather, is just asking for some kind of trouble. Overheating is just one of many.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

I've heard that armor all is pretty bad, in some cases causing cracks. So I wouldn't use that in my car in general.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by strangeknight View Post
    If you are using a BEL STi or a Valentine1 you might have already fried your detector. The I.C. chipset both detectors use are extremely sensitive to heat and once they sit on the windshield, in a hot car, with the windows up well oops. The STi has been known to sometimes work once it cools back down, not so for the V1. And I would not coat a detector with anything across its antennas. Take it down when not using it.
    Knight, that is the first time that I have heard that it's just THAT easy to fry a detector. It comes off like if it's left on the dash in 90F+ weather for a few hours, its TOAST. That could EASILY be done driving across Texas.

Have I missed a thread or two over the past 2 years addressing this? What about the temp compensation on the "new" V1's?

Thanks!

Radar Fanatic

Works both ways. I used to say, leave it up, the sun won't hurt it. I recently had to send in my X50 as it started freezing up in a very short time in the sun. BUT, it did take 4 yrs. of Oklahoma heat and cold since I left it up 24/7.
    Now I take it down. I don't really like to since I had to lower it a little so I can get to the release button easier. And its just a pain.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishOne View Post
    Knight, that is the first time that I have heard that it's just THAT easy to fry a detector. It comes off like if it's left on the dash in 90F+ weather for a few hours, its TOAST. That could EASILY be done driving across Texas.

Have I missed a thread or two over the past 2 years addressing this? What about the temp compensation on the "new" V1's?

Thanks!
    No, no. If you leave your windows up and allow it to sit on your windshield on a hot summer day. I am looking for where I had seen this but working 60 hours a week is not making it easy. I heard Craig P. likes to cook his V1's like this before using them in his radardetector test from time to time. so, if he is doing it well...