Good Citizen

Default radar detector - calling attention to yourself.

Hello again...........got yet another question as a newbie. I am wondering about the risk running a RD. I do plan to hardwire my RX65 once I get it and mount it high and run it in dark mode at night. I know that RDs are perfectly legal in NY state where I live but that doesnt mean that it doesn't p off the police having one. Is there a chance that a cop, seeing that you have a detector or suspecting that you do will spin around and follow you just praying to God you make a mistake? Has anyone experienced any harassment like this because you have a detector? Is there any concern there?
    Also, I plan on practicing ripping the thing off its mount and stashing it quickly but there is always a chance that you wont be able to do that if the cop is right behind you and actually may even be dangerous to make any sudden movements like this when it would be obvious. So I am supposing that that becomes a bit of a risk too that if you DO get pulled over and the cop sees the detector you dont have a prayer of getting it reduced or getting out of it and the ticket will stick. Do you all feel it is worth running a detector because of this?
    Thanks again guys............you are the best!!!!!

Experienced

If i was *still* living in NYC, i would invest in a radar detector. My buddy that lives in NY has one and he has not had a problem during traffic stops. He has been stopped a couple of times by cops, but the cops did not get pissed off at him for having one (luck maybe). Hardwiring is the best way to go for you. Just put it on top and leave the night mode always on (if you are paranoid about cops seeing it.) When the cop actually approaches your vechicle, there is a small chance that he will notice you have a detector on top.

The only sucky part about having a detector high up is that you are extremely unprotected when it comes to laser alerts, unless you have a V1.

Yoda of Radar

Damn I live where detectors are illegal and I don't even have any issues.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    *BEEP* I don't even have any issues.
    Oh Really...... :P

Radar Fanatic

I've been in mid-windshield mode with my V1 since I started to question the laser sensitiviy when it's mounted high. I got a good, long look today from an officer who was making a left turn at the light right in front of me. (He was running constang Ka band...I must have picked him up over a mile out which is way above typical for me.) Anyway, he looked but what was he going to do? I was abiding by all traffic laws and that's about all he can ask of me.

The only thing that might get you is a state like VT or CA where it is illegal to affix anything to your windshield. They can and do pull people over for it, so you need to keep it out of sight or sitting on the dash in situations like that. And in any state don't expect a warning if you do get pulled over, it will be a ticket.

Banned

I've been pulled over 2 times because the officer wanted to prove to me I could get pulled over with a radar detector....even if I'm not speeding. If I ever get pulled over hey always turn on there radar gun to set off my detector when they're sitting in the car. I think it's there way of telling me "I see what you have buddy."

Good Citizen

Default Re: radar detector - calling attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by squonk
    Hello again...........got yet another question as a newbie. I am wondering about the risk running a RD. I do plan to hardwire my RX65 once I get it and mount it high and run it in dark mode at night. I know that RDs are perfectly legal in NY state where I live but that doesnt mean that it doesn't p off the police having one. Is there a chance that a cop, seeing that you have a detector or suspecting that you do will spin around and follow you just praying to God you make a mistake? Has anyone experienced any harassment like this because you have a detector? Is there any concern there?
    Also, I plan on practicing ripping the thing off its mount and stashing it quickly but there is always a chance that you wont be able to do that if the cop is right behind you and actually may even be dangerous to make any sudden movements like this when it would be obvious. So I am supposing that that becomes a bit of a risk too that if you DO get pulled over and the cop sees the detector you dont have a prayer of getting it reduced or getting out of it and the ticket will stick. Do you all feel it is worth running a detector because of this?
    Thanks again guys............you are the best!!!!!
    I dont think they give a flying crap

Power User

I wouldnt be too worried m8...I wouldnt bother running it in dark mode either..hell I have a DVD screen in my car and they are illegal to have on while driving and I never have a problem with the cops