Yoda of Radar

Default Crappy, Leaky Detectors

Anyone here have a lot of experience with crappy, leaky detectors? I'm curious how strong the signal leak of something like a Cobra is. What band does it register? How far does it travel, and how strongly does it register on the meter of a good detector?

The reason I ask is an encounter I had today. I got a Ka hit on my V1 while travelling down the highway. It rapidly went to full strength on the meter, and constantly showed as coming from the rear. And it STAYED there for about three miles! There were no police cars following behind me. After not seeing any police cars, I honestly thought my own radar gun had somehow turned itself on or something, because it was THAT strong and constant! Now, in retrospect, I suspect it was just some idiot with a Cobra travelling along side me. There were four or five cars immediately adjacent to me during that entire trip, so it could have been any one of them. But would just a leaky detector throw off that strong of a signal?

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

I had a friend once that had a cobra. Every time I drove near him with my rx65, I would get a Ka instant on, and it would go crazy until he left. Cobra is the only one I have known to do that, although I always assumed that whistlers would have similar unpredictable leakage.

Yoda of Radar

Did it look something like this?:

YouTube - Cobra RD causes a Ka false on my V1

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    Did it look something like this?
    Yep, except stronger! I was so busy looking for the cop that I wasn't paying attention to the cars around me. By the time I thought about it being a leaky RD, I was already away from that pack of cars. Thanks!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Professional

I had a very similar situation the other day except it was x-band. It kept getting stronger and stronger then side arrows then front. It was a Nissan Maxima must have had a crapra.

Speed Demon

happens to me all the time

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by rsatmans View Post
    I had a very similar situation the other day except it was x-band. It kept getting stronger and stronger then side arrows then front. It was a Nissan Maxima must have had a crapra.
    I haven't heard of Cobras leaking on X band. Old Unidens however, were notorious for leaking on X band.

J/

Professional

My old Pro 73 would pick leaky Cobras up on both K and Ka band. Most were just a signal strength of 2, but sometimes there would be one that would peg out at 7 out of 9.

YouTube - Pro 73 picks up super leaky cobra RD

Yoda of Radar

That little tiny Cobra repeatedly sets off my pop alert on my 9500i.