Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default does virginia shoot rdd's

do they try and pick up ur radar?...i have to drive to Fl and im just wondering if i should take me radar off for the state????

Lead Foot

Well matt1020, since my Cobra is supposed to be able to escape detection of VG2 and Spectre(I) and I have as of yet came across a VG2 alert traveling in and around N.VA, I cannot say from experience if they have RDDs or not.

But I would recommend when 'cruizin' thru you set it up and have it powered up and stay close (not too close) to a pack. If you get any kind of alert on the HWY power it down and take it of the dash or wherever you have it (visor).

I run with mine on the pass. seat, powered up until I get an alert, and believe it or not, there is so much reflected RF out there when they turn on RDRs that my Cobra does pick it up.

I'm very curious to see if this RX65 that I just ordered will do the same.

Lead Foot

Yeah Jamal, I remember seeing this thread. The one time you did see it, was that a physical viewing or did you get some kind of alert with your X50?

Power User

Physical viewing.

X50 is not detected by VG2 or MD3 and the X50 does not alert you when they are in use. The X50 is detected by Spectre and the X50 does not alert you when the Spectre is being used.

I have driven all over VA with my detector and I have never been stopped on suspicion for having a detector. Roy said the Spectre encounters would most likely be found in rural areas. I personally believe that VA LEO's only write RD tickets when they see one in use in someone's car. The Spectres are probably used for federal truck ban enforcement. I don't think they like to go through all the trouble and time of sniffing out detector in passenger cars with Spectres in rural areas only to give you a $40 fine. If the detector is hidden from sight you should be ok. This is just my opionion.

Speed Demon

Well, I'm hearing that VA cops are still pulling the "I'll either give you the detector ticket and say you were driving recklessly and give you a reckless driving ticket, or smash your detector right here" thing, so I recommend if you drive with a detector in VA drive with a tape recorder.
    Richard

Power User

That sounds like something that would happen 20+ years ago. If you are really concerned about that, you could always buy a cheapo detector to hand over for them to smash after you hide your good detector.

Speed Demon

That's what I thought to (in fact it was common 20 years ago from what I understand) but the lawyer who told me this said he's heard of it as recently as 1 month ago.
    Richard

Lead Foot

Well, there's another tip for the RD makers. Make these things sing to us when we encounter RDDs. Cloaking is fine, but a warning that it is going into cloaking mode is what we need.

Newcomer

I got busted for a detector in '96 on a back road in Loudoun County (LC Deputy) just outside of Northern Va. It was an old Uniden non RDD-proof unit. Just got a fine and no points. I hear the RDDs are still around, but I don't think you'll have any trouble if you're passing through. Don't know how many of them are in use.