Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Proof: Radar Reflections from Car Hood Boosts RD Sensitivity

Hi everyone,

Well, after being shot down by some engineers, the following video shows my proof that optimal height placement of a RD relative to your car's hood results in increased RD sensitivity due to radar reflections off of your car's hood. The K band door opener radar source is located in the shopping center behind the bank building in the foreground across the highway. The video starts off with the 9500ci radar antenna mounted directly atop my car's dash, and then I slowly raise the antenna up along my car's windshield and attach it via Velcro to the mount which I have installed next to my car's rear view mirror.

Judge for yourself. The first time I conducted such a test was over 20 years ago, and I have repeated innumerable similar tests ever since using dozens of radar detectors. But what the hell do I know!

http://www.youtube.com/v/I_nhN9wUo6w
    Last edited by MEM-TEK; 07-22-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Yoda of Radar

I dunno, Bro. I don't see how that really says anything about how hood reflection factors into reception. The hood is only one of many factors that you changed. I suspect that if you had done the same manoeuvre outside of the car, with no hood in front of you, you would have seen the exact same results simply from height change.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

I'm pretty sure the wavelengths of radar detectors don't go through non transparent solids pretty well and just bounce off. I'm probably wrong though. I can see how it would work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    I dunno, Bro. I don't see how that really says anything about how hood reflection factors into reception. The hood is only one of many factors that you changed. I suspect that if you had done the same manoeuvre outside of the car, with no hood in front of you, you would have seen the exact same results simply from height change.
    Height change? Directly in front of my car was a 40 foot drop off to the roadway below. And the door opener behind the bank building which the 9500ci radar antenna was detecting was over 3000 feet away!

I give up. You all mount your RDs wherever you want to.

Advanced Member

Michael I'm sorry, but I fail to see anything in your video that would even imply that "reflections off the vehicle's hood are boosting sensitivity". So I'm not quite sure how you could come to the conclusion that your video actually "proves" that?

All I see is that the video might indicate that high mounting might be better for radar... something that is pretty well known around these parts. High mounting can "see" over obstructions (like banks!) better, it gets you closer to LOS with the radar source.

Stealth Stalker has the right idea: to investigate further, do it in the exact same spot and take the vehicle out of the equation. If it acts differently, then you might have something that warrants further investigation.

Yoda of Radar

To be clear, I am not arguing your conclusion. I am simply questioning the validity of your methods to reach that conclusion. You changed more than one factor, therefore, no one factor can be isolated as a causative factor for the change.

Even if reflection is a factor, your video experiment does nothing to really illustrate that. At that distance and angle, it seems that reflection from the hood would be more likely to hit at the dash level than the visor level.
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 07-22-2008 at 10:21 PM.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Yoda of Radar

I think the following methodology would yield a valid test: Set up a radar source with absolutely no obstructions, pointing towards your car (it should ideally be quite far away, otherwise the signal will be pegged at maximum strength no matter what you do). Then try it again the same way you did, moving the antenna within your car. This would guarantee that the largest source is a signal directly to your car, and the height change is not affecting the quality of your line of sight.

Remember, the scientific method provides incontrovertible data if you control all variables. The problem is that perfectly controlling variables is harder than it sounds, and is often impossible.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Allen View Post
    [something]
    Oh and what's up with the Pedobear avatar? You trying to steal my thunder or something?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Oh and what's up with the Pedobear avatar? You trying to steal my thunder or something?
    Dude, aren't you the one that likes goats?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Allen View Post
    Dude, aren't you the one that likes goats?
    No you dick, I'm the one who likes little girls. The Horn is the one who started talking about farm animals.