Radar Fanatic

Default Do you still use your detector in Ontario?

With the proliferation of spectre use by the OPP, I haven't used my detector at home for a couple of years. I still use it in the states whenever I travel (which is alot), but I've found that constantly worrying about being stopped, hassled by the cops, having my vehicle searched (even after refusing to allow them to, citing constitutional rights against unreasonable search and seizure---circa 1995, another story...), hiding the detector on myself or a passenger, etc, it really isn't worth the hassle anymore.

I've noticed that we tend to drive faster on highways that most Americans, and our police have a far greater tolerance, unless they're running some long-weekend blitz. I've had police drive by me when I'm doing 140 km/h (88 mph to our American friends), thankfully they are aware that driving on a sunny day, on a highway with no traffic (400 north of Barrie) not being an asshole and weaving around, really poses no problem. I've also seen the OPP "pull" traffic along at 130/km on the 401 (80 mph to those not metrically inclined.)

Just wondering what everyone else is doing with their detectors as well.

Professional

Jerry ,

excellent observation about Us/Can drive habit . I used to overpass most us driver in NY states untill I got a ticket , my v-1 was not up to date in 2001 , the state trooper had their new wide band .

I am surprised to see post of Us citizen receiving ticket for doing only 5 miles over , what surprised me even more is American having ticket because they drive without a rd , really I don't understand this : they have the right and they don't use them ???

I drive from time to time in Ontario , hum , kind of scary to use my sensoro , I drive with a finger on the off switch .I am from Montreal. I am not a great overspeeder just I hate to have stupid trap ticket so I veil , blind and rd , all in a very concealed manner.Now that I bought a quite powerfull vehicule I often declined to muscle with others as I did younger.
    Still waiting for the ultimate rdd-proof baby.

Professional

It's because it's the American way. Us Americans are so greedy for money that we have to set up speed traps to get more money into the government because taxes aren't high enough.

Don't take this the wrong way. I love the U.S. and think it's great place. We need taxes and all that stuff to make the system work, so I'm not trying to bash the system, just trying to add some humor. But I think there's a bit of truth to it unfortunately. Speed traps are mostly a revenue generator and a way to turn otherwise nice cops into jerks. But yeah, the speed laws are somewhat rediculous I think...but whacha gonna do?

Radar Fanatic

I think it depends on where you drive and who enforces the roads. This morning I was headed in to work at 10-15 over on one particualar road with a badly mis-assigned limit. (It's a 35, should be at least a 45.) As I rounded a corner with my radar detector in plain view (same goes for the girl behind me) I found a CT statie rolling along in the opposite lane, radar off. I braked moderately to get my speed down under 40 and that was that. Two towns away I would have encountered an over-funded local guy who would have been more than happy to lecture me and try to pin an even faster speed on my ticket. (Just ask my girlfriend...total BS.)

I don't have a problem making the statement that speed can be the major player in an accident. It does happen and probably more often than I would like to admit. But the problem that we seem to have in the US is that it is considered too hard, too expensive, or simply impossible to empower drivers to make intelligent decisions independently. The result is this mentality that if you are over the posted limit by anything, regardless of the conditions, you should be fined.

I have to say that I like the system used on the German Autobahn. They have a suggested speed limit of, what, 140kmh or 160kmh? You are permitted to go over that speed but they give you plenty of incentive to be careful about it. My understanding is that they can really get on your case if you are in an accident while going over that suggested limit.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    My understanding is that they can really get on your case if you are in an accident while going over that suggested limit.
    more like put you in a casket :wink: