Newcomer

Default Laser detection - RD makers are not trying

Why don't RD manufacturers improve laser detection? Some of us Oz truckers were suggesting a few ideas based on all the misses we get (don't get alerts). The detector (Bel 995) is so high above the license plate (in the cab) that the beam never hits the laser sensor.

What about remote laser sensors in tiny housings (suction cup mount) with rechargeable batteries. The alerts are sent to the main unit by 'infrared' or 'radio' transmission. No messy wires please.

In a car you could mount one high and another low. Maybe a rear facing unit too. The coverage would be far better. How hard can this be with 'current' technology? The designers must be lazy or stupid.

Jammers (laser) are far too obvious. How about a tiny laser 'eye' (detect and transmit) that can be hidden in a headlight? It is wired back to a box in the engine bay - where it gets power. The warnings are sent by radio transmission to a receiver unit (battery powered) in the drivers pocket. No need to go through the firewall.

Is this too hard for all those brilliant radar / laser engineers - or am I nuts or something? :idea:

Speed Demon

Default Re: Laser detection - RD makers are not trying

Quote Originally Posted by ConVoyager
    Why don't RD manufacturers improve laser detection? Some of us Oz truckers were suggesting a few ideas based on all the misses we get (don't get alerts). The detector (Bel 995) is so high above the license plate (in the cab) that the beam never hits the laser sensor.

What about remote laser sensors in tiny housings (suction cup mount) with rechargeable batteries. The alerts are sent to the main unit by 'infrared' or 'radio' transmission. No messy wires please.

In a car you could mount one high and another low. Maybe a rear facing unit too. The coverage would be far better. How hard can this be with 'current' technology? The designers must be lazy or stupid.

Jammers (laser) are far too obvious. How about a tiny laser 'eye' (detect and transmit) that can be hidden in a headlight? It is wired back to a box in the engine bay - where it gets power. The warnings are sent by radio transmission to a receiver unit (battery powered) in the drivers pocket. No need to go through the firewall.

Is this too hard for all those brilliant radar / laser engineers - or am I nuts or something? :idea:
    Iím not a engineer but thoughs are some GREAT IDEAS. It sounds to me that you need to patent this before someone steals it and go start your own company.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Laser detection - RD makers are not trying

Quote Originally Posted by ConVoyager

e-sensor ( www.e-sensor.co.kr ) has a few remote-mount "laser detector" units. The problem with these is they are probably not effective, plus the eye would likely only see a direct hit, much like the detector of a jammer. It would give an alert, perhaps, considering the surface of most HGV's, but not nearly enough warning time for you to have any serious impact on the size of the ticket you'll get.

Speed Demon

Thats great ideas, i cant believe engineers never tought about this, they are maybe trying to come up with something, but their plans are always kept secret.

Experienced

ConVoyager,

Truckers like you really do come up with ingenious ideas for the road. I can't wait till' i take circuits in my university. After that, Lidar detection and jamming will be my number 1 hobby.

Administrator

Default Remote laser sensor

Whistler already makes a unit that you are looking for, it is the crisader
    http://www.radarbusters.com/products.../cruisader.asp

They have a remote laser sensor that mounts away from the unit and a remote radar antenna
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer