Question Are Dashboard RD Units Typically C/O or I/O? What about handheld RD Units?

When an officer has a radar unit that sits on the dashboard, is that typically constant on or instant on?

When an officer has a hand held radar unit, is that typically constant on or instant on?

If an officer has a constant on radar unit, why doesn’t the officer just turn it off and on manually to emulate an instant on unit?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Are Dashboard RD Units Typically C/O or I/O? What about handheld RD Units?

Quote Originally Posted by ZJamaican View Post
    When an officer has a radar unit that sits on the dashboard, is that typically constant on or instant on?
    Both.

When an officer has a hand held radar unit, is that typically constant on or instant on?
    Both.

If an officer has a constant on radar unit, why doesn’t the officer just turn it off and on manually to emulate an instant on unit?
    Basically, just about all modern radar units (Made after about 1978) are capable of both instant-on and constant-on. The exception is that some handhelds only transmit when the trigger is pulled, which prevents the officers from exposing themselves to too much radar by laying it on their lap for example. (A while back, some officers filed lawsuits claiming that the radar caused their testicular cancer).

In the old days, prior to radar units which featured "instant-on" standby modes, police would turn the radar off and flip it on to get a speed reading, or they would aim the antenna at the floor of the patrol car and then aim it when a vehicle went by. These methods of operation were against the manufacturer supported methods of operation and trainign standards, and led to a lot of erroneous speed readings.

Default Re: Are Dashboard RD Units Typically C/O or I/O? What about handheld RD Units?

Ok so your saying the majority of radar units in use can function as either I/O or C/O?

On average would you say most officerse prefer using there radar unit in I/O mode or C/O mode?

Thanks

Speed Demon

Ok so your saying the majority of radar units in use can function as either I/O or C/O?

On average would you say most officerse prefer using there radar unit in I/O mode or C/O mode?

Thanks
    It depends. Some places the cops always leave their radar on, other places are different. Depends on the LEO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveKAjam View Post
    It depends. Some places the cops always leave their radar on, other places are different. Depends on the LEO
    x2, for example in Carmel NY they use C/O K band almost exclusively. But back in Ridgefield CT they use a combination of both.

Yoda of Radar

Traffic cops (those running speed traps or specifically looking for traffic violations) generally use I/O mostly. Patrol cops (out doing real police work, and just carrying the radar as a part-time tool) tend to use more C/O. They'll run it constant to alert to speed demons as they go from place to place, but not really singling anyone out. While sittings somewhere writing a report, they'll also run C/O, not really paying attention until someone really burns by. It's common to see their cars sitting parked somewhere, with them not even in it, and the radar running. Highway patrolmen (in Texas anyway) seem to use an almost equal amount of each, depending on what they are doing at the time and how busy the flow of traffic is. In heavy traffic, they tend to run C/O. In lighter traffic, they'll be more selective of their targets. Those are, of course, just generalisations, and any officer can run it anyway he wants to.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

I think it also depends on their motive. If their motive is to make traffic safer by slowing down the flow, they'll run C/O. If their motive is to bust detector users and hand out as many tickets as they can, they'll run I/O.

It all depends on your region and cop strategies. Over here, the county sheriffs run C/O 34.7 and in the city the V1 starts screaming 5 minutes away. However, a neighboring city notorious for handing out tickets runs I/O 35.5 which is a complete NIGHTMARE for any detector.