Speed Demon

Default (NY) Radar detectors allowed in commerical vehicles...

I just read the V&T Law book and it looks like radar detectors are allowed in commercial and heavy vehicles... except you can't speed. So I guess if you needed it in gas station finder mode, or needed it to find a cop to ask directions, it's fine. It didn't say you can't use it to break the law, it just said going over the limit.

Good Citizen

That is interesting. I was wondering about that. There is a company right next door to my job and I looked in their truck and right smack on the windshield is a V1 in plain sight. I thought that was illegal......hmmmm.

Radar Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that the commercial vehicle restriction is federal. If that's the case then it doesn't matter what the state law is because the state will be superceeded.

Lead Foot

Federal law is commercial vehicles >10,000 lbs GVW. I believe the NY law is heavier it doesn't matter as it's against federal law. OTOH, who enforces federal law?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I'm pretty sure that the commercial vehicle restriction is federal. If that's the case then it doesn't matter what the state law is because the state will be superceeded.
    yup

Good Citizen

Could a statie or local cop even write a ticket for breaking a federal law? I assume such tickets would be under the jurisdiction of federal courts?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame
    Could a statie or local cop even write a ticket for breaking a federal law? I assume such tickets would be under the jurisdiction of federal courts?
    Well the Tx DPS has a couple hundred RDD's, Im sure they didnt buy them to see who has one (RD) without writing tickets so I am sure they can.

Radar Fanatic

It depends on the state. Some states authorize their state police and motor carrier enforcement division to enforce federal laws and some don't.

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11
    Well the Tx DPS has a couple hundred RDD's, Im sure they didnt buy them to see who has one (RD) without writing tickets so I am sure they can.
    Just like NY, I bet in TX there's a law forbidding rd usage if the truck is going 1mph over the limit. That's STATE law in NY, so of course the police here can enforce it.