View Poll Results: Should manufacturers produce consumer upgradeable devices with USB interfaces?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 94.74%
  • No

2 5.26%

Default A message to the Radar Detector/Jammers industry

A message to the Radar Detector/Jammers industry

The blinder problem with the stealth mode should be a lesson for the entire Radar detector/Jammer industry. Stop trying to generate additional income by changing the firmware in your products every month. Start using consumer upgradeable flash memory. The computer motherboard market did this 15 years ago. I donít understand it. Flash thumb drives for computers cost less than $40. They have a flash chip and a USB interface. That is what all manufacturers should be doing. Producing equipment with USB interfaces. If something happens, like as the blinder incident, we only have to go to your web site and download the latest version. I my opinion this can be done and manufacturers can do it relatively cheaply. I donít think this would add more than $100 to the product.

More that apologies or explanation we should be demanding these changes. Nobody wants to buy a detector or jammer and learn the next month that a new revision/version exist and the only way to upgrade is by shipping it to the manufacturer.

Experienced

Hear, hear. I second that motion. The additional cost would be a lot less than $100. Unless they try to profit from it to make up for lost 'upgrade' revenue.

Good Citizen

No offense, but why would someone not want their equipment to be flash upgradable? This way there is a convinience given to the consumer, and the manufacturer doesn't have to deal with sent devices to be upgraded (and still retains some profit from the upgrade feature). I think this way both sides are benefiting. 8)

Speed Demon

That would be great, i hope it will be reality soon.

Radar Fanatic

i think we should be able to plug our radars(V1, Passport, Bel.....) to the phone line.... dial up ........and upgrade software

Good Citizen

Default Re: A message to the Radar Detector/Jammers industry

Quote Originally Posted by radguy
    Start using consumer upgradeable flash memory.
    That is the sensible way to do it.

I only hope that is what's in store in the near future. I'd pay more for a unit that had this capability and I'm reasonably sure many others would be too. 8)