Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Driving the length of VA and back this weekend...

Last edited by tosi; 02-27-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Default Re: Driving the length of VA and back this weekend...

If you have tint on your wind shield you may want to run an extension and mount it high on the glass behind the tint with the wire hidden if possible. Other wise you may be asking for trouble if its stuck low on the glass. The detector has less range mounted low, and there are alot of VSP and locals running anything from marked Chargers and Crown Vics to unmarked Impalas and SUVs all along that route. I-81 is very active with the po-po. When I'm running that road I normally have a CB hooked up too.

Newcomer

Hello, I have mine mounted above my rear view mirror and below the tint line. It is hardwired into the map lights and the display is off . I use a Beltronics STIDriver. If you use another detector I would just drive the speed limit up to 9 over and leave it in the trunk. The RDD spectre's are all over 81

Old Timer

just dont go nuts in VA man its not worth it without an STi...id day dont run the v1 and just dont go over 9 mph as the native VAer said

Stealthed Like a B-2

I live in VA and I think you should be fine as long as you do it right.

First off:

Mount it high, not visible from the sides nor the rear.

X band we don't use in this state so its a false everytime, even if your on the interstate (we have a few X falses on the interstate.)

If you think you see an unmarked car don't take your detector down just unplug it from the cigarette lighter, or press the power button on the detector.

We have unmarked chargers that have a antenna the size of a Listerine mouth wash cap but black but I have seen a couple without the antenna so just look for the lights on the right visor and in the back to the left of the back seat brake light.

State police like to use instant on, but on the highways they like c/o. They sit on I-64 inbetween the medians in little access areas that you can do a uturn.

Don't worry about laser, either. Chances are very slim.

Don't make yourself stick out but if you know how to drive the interstate like I can and do everytime I get on it, just be very aware of your surroundings you can do 80-100 the whole way. Try not to bring attention to yourself, if you speed really bad (like 100) don't be doing abrupt manuvers, switching lanes put blinker on and slowly get in the other lane. If your worried just do whatever the traffic is running plus 5 to maybe 10.

You can be successful, but you just have to do it right. And why are you taking 81 instead of 95, straight down to SC? 95 is the nicest interstate ever, 3-4 lanes the entire way, not much traffic, and in your position, leads you all the way to SC.

Also Chevy Impalas are popular, especially with VSP. Pretty easy to spot out though, and the ones I've seen a lot of the times have radar in them.

Professional

^x2 on the Impalas/Chargers, the ones with spectre's are typically the unmarked ones.

If your on 95 I wouldn't worry about spectres....................safety in numbers. Also, you should have no problem finding a rabbit cruising along between 80-90mph.

Radar Fanatic

About this time last year I was faced with a similar task on my way to the Dragon. Instead of taking I-77 across I went I-64>I-75>I-40. As far as I was concerned the hassle wasn't worth it, if they want to ban RDs I can fill up out of state and eat out of state and take my business out of state. That said i had some great saves and excellent scenery in WV and KY and had an LEO free weekend on the Dragon

Professional

In my experience, VA police like to setup speed traps immediately following border crossings from other states. North Carolina likes to do this as well. Always be cautious right after crossing from one state to another.

Last edited by tosi; 02-27-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Stealthed Like a B-2

I just thought of this. This is a great tip if you are using a RD in VA and yours is not invisible to spetre rdd

If you get an alert, turn off your RD. Instead of going the psl like nobody does anymore do like 3-5 over the psl that way you don't stick out. The cop knows that the person with the RD is going to be doing the psl. And btw this is if there is traffic, there has to be some.

Thats how my friend got pulled. He was driving on 17 (4 laned) got an alert turned it off, went down to the psl. Well the cop was up ahead and couldn't figure out which car it is because he turned his rd off but because he slowed down to the psl and everybody else around him was doing like 5 over or more the cop pulled out and said give me your RD. He said Radar Detector? I don't own one of those... Cop said i can search your vehicle, he said alright you can search it but you won't find nothing. Well the cop went back to his car and came back and said never mind. And decided not to search the car.