Newcomer

Default X band still alive in Virginia!

On my way to work Friday morning I found out the hard way that X band is still used by Virginia State Police. That morning I took I-64 to work for the first time because of a backup on my normal route. I was in a line of 15-20 cars, all doing 75, in the far left hand lane when my X50 alerted to briefly to X band at about half strength, then went silent. I slowed down and checked my mirrors since I wasn't familiar with the route. The X50 stopped alerting and the coast looked clear, so I resumed my speed at the back of the pack. About 15 seconds later I got another half sthrength X band alert. This time when I checked my rearview, I saw a trooper on a motorcycle right on my tail. I moved to the middle lane and reduced my speed, hoping he would pass and go after one of the other cars still doing 75. Unfortunately, he preferred easy prey, turned on his lights and fell in line behind me. I stashed the detector under the seat and pulled over to the shoulder, wondering if he'd paced me or if he was really using X band. I'd get my answer shortly. He said he saw me go by as the last car in line and tried to get my speed, but couldn't, so he pulled in behind me and was able to get a reading when he tried a second time. That explained both alerts...without a doubt, he was using X band, and once again I'll be appearing in court at the request of one of Virginia's finest. I had been considering turning off X band since I'd never seen it used around here. I'll definately keep it on now, and I'll never ignore X in an unfamiliar area.

Speed Demon

That really sux. If you ever come to North Carolina leave x on also because there are still a lot of State Troopers with it. They are slowly migrating to KA band, but I nearly had the same thing happen to me going around Greensboro on the bypass. An unmarked car in the median on the other side of the hill was using instant on and luckily a guy passed me and was hit with radar about 100 yards in front of me. I had gotten a couple of alerts, but somewhat ignored them and then full blast on the car in front of me and my x50 got ripped off the window and I panicked until the trooper flew by me to get the other guy. I have not ignored an X band warning since.

Power User

thestampcollector said that the only X band that could possibly still be in Virginia is a local force in the tidewater area. That local force had just bought X band units when VA stopped using them so they put a filter on them and the state allowed them to "grandfather" them in.

Hopefully for you he did use X band. If you can prove he used X band in court you will probably get out of the ticket since X band is not approved for use in VA.

Professional

Sucks that he got you!

But in your case a V-1 would have told ya its behind you and may have prevented your ticket :wink:

Where in VA do you live?

Good Citizen

VSP has NOT used X band radar since 1978. The troopers on motorcycles use the Falcon radar which is K band and is used only in stationary mode. Look on the summons beside the charge and you will see what you were clocked with (radar, pace, laser, vascar, etc.) If you still think you got clocked by X band, subpoena the device used to court and if it is X band, follow stealthjamal's comments for getting the case dismissed. Or file a discovery motion prior to court so that you will have time to prepare for your defense on the illegal use of an unapproved speed detection device. Your X band may have been showing but I can almost guarantee that no X band was in use and can 100% guarantee that it was not X band if it was a trooper that wrote the summons.

Newcomer

I just fished the summons out of the car...it's hard to read, but it says pace. I was in heavy traffic when I read it the first time, so I only got a quick glance, and I could have sworn I read radar. That's so weird that I got two X falses right at the same time. Sorry to scare everyone. It's nice to have knowledgable members on the board to set everything straight.

I've only dealt with radar in court. I would imagine that it's easier to defend against a pace. Am I right?

Stampcollector, which local force in Tidewater could possibly still have X?

Good Citizen

I think the local department is Hampton PD but not 100% sure. And even if they were the only department to be granfathered in, that was several years ago and may not be still using X band. As to whether your pace is easier to defend against depends on several things. How long the pace was, his location behind you, lane changes during the pace, traffic conditions and its effect on his pace, his speedometer calibration date and the mph it may have been off, his observations of your driving behavior while he was pacing you, etc. Most paces over a tenth of a mile with a valid calibration are sufficient for a conviction. The longer the pace, the more weight it will carry with the judge.