Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default It happened again...in OK!!!

Ok guys...(I know I've been absent for a couple weeks but...) I've had another "funky" radar encounter here in OK.

Actually my son was using my RX55 in western OK heaed for the ski slopes. He was cruising about 85 mph when the BEL chirped twice on X band (just like it did me on the turnpike here). He was smarter than he...slammed his brakes and when he topped the hill it went full tilt BOZO on Ka.

No...he didn't get a ticket. He beat the OHP trooper to the punch.

What has got me scratching my head is the X band chiprs. Just like the encounteres I've had with OHP on the Cimmaron Turnpike. I have been stopped twice in the past year or so. I get two chirps on X band...

Anybody? Anybody?

Could they have some radar unit that is like instant on X...very weak...then they switch to Ka to lock on? If so what would be the reason?

Anybody?

Administrator

Default Reflection??

Not sure on this one at all...

Could be the detector is picking up a weak reflection and unable to identify the proper band??
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Lead Foot

Hey Warrior, it's probably one of their tactics to use a low pwr X to catch you coming over that hill and once they get a return they go into full blast with another unit. Then too, what you may be experiencing are X band reflections off the pavement even though the actual signal is K or KA. That is a frequency shift phenomina that I have seen but only in military radars when out on training exercises.
    A sort of "ground clutter" reflection.

Newcomer

This could be a function of the harmonics being utilized to identify ka-band; jimbo could probably provide a detailed technical description..

Quote Originally Posted by SETITOFF
    Hey Warrior, it's probably one of their tactics to use a low pwr X to catch you coming over that hill and once they get a return they go into full blast with another unit. Then too, what you may be experiencing are X band reflections off the pavement even though the actual signal is K or KA. That is a frequency shift phenomina that I have seen but only in military radars when out on training exercises.
    A sort of "ground clutter" reflection.

I think you have hit it right on the head with the second comment. I have noticed this a few times when I run frequency display with my Bell detector also. It's once and a great great while thou..

Quote Originally Posted by observin
    This could be a function of the harmonics being utilized to identify ka-band; jimbo could probably provide a detailed technical description..
    yes in fact most detectors work on the principles of harmonics to detect police radar and it's various frequencies...

Lead Foot

I've set my RX65 to TEC also and will be looking for such. Also set POP on, so we'll see. If only you could replicate that alert.... :?

Advanced Member

I think the "weak reflections" scenario is the most plausible here. I have heard of such things happening before with K-band too...

Jim

Lead Foot

Well, here's one for you all:

today, while picking up my kid from school I'm pulling out of the lot when the RX starts chirpin'...there is a Kangaroo convenience store across from the school...auto-door opener...anyway it starts chirpin and showing a POP alert with freq (I forgot the ###) and it was continuous. So, now I know it will pick up a freq on POP at that spot. Now I know what's there when I pass by.

But at the same time, I look at it and think "it's a school zone, hot spot for police to set up", so I know what to look for, even though I'll never go above the posted speed limit for that or any other school zone.

Speed Demon

If you had a V1 though, youd have a bogey counter so you'd know
    Richard