Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Default $500 to spend, what to get?

My brother is looking into some kind of "defence" system for his car. He wants to spend around $500 dollars (or less), so something like $530 is ok, but $550 is not.

I basically recommended two options:

#1. Valentine 1, Veil, and a Lasershield - $510

#2. BEL 995, Blinder M20 - $535

Which do you guys think provides more complete protection? Or is there another setup you guys can think of for around that price that would be better?

Professional

Veil isn't quite a cloaking device, but it's the best passive solution you'll get. The M20 has some issues with LA stealth mode, so it's best to pass on that until a new model comes out (unless you know the police in the areas you drive in don't use LA guns). Veil and a Lasershield together aren't as powerful against LIDAR as the Blinder is, but they're close enough.

The dealbreaker here is the detector. The V1 is one of the best out there, but why spend $400 for a detector that has poor POP support? I'd definitely go with the Veil and the Shield instead of the Blinder, partially because of the M20's issues with LA stealth, but mostly because passive defenses are far more difficult to detect (and farther from the legal "gray area") than are active ones.

As for the detector, I'd think about saving some of that money and getting a Passport 8500 X50 Red or a Bel RX65 for $300-325, Veil for $90, the LaserShield for $20, and then either a second LaserShield for your rear plate or a Protector/Super Protector photo radar shield (though you can be pulled over in many states for simply having things on your plates that alter or conceal parts of them). That brings your grand total to just under the same $500, but you're now protected from front and rear laser shots, while still getting a detector that's comparable to the V1.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    The V1....has poor POP support?
    What are you talking about? The guys of lidar found out the V1 had the best POP detection of them all. These guys are the only ones that aren't paid by the manufacturers to do the tests, so they hold much more weight then SML.

Advanced Member

That is correct. In our tests, it missed fewer 67ms Ka POP shots than all of the other detectors, and was the only detector to alert to a 16ms K POP hit.

Jim

Banned

The key is to get a good radar detector and laser diffuser set and WAIT later for the laser jammers to come out. Why would you want to buy a blinder M20 right now? Just look at the GOL test results and you'll see punch throughs all over it. I wouldn't spend $350.00 for a blinder, but I would spend $350.00 for an Antilaser AL6 when it comes out because it actually does everything the blinder is advertised to do :-) The blinder does not. The blinder doesn't jam stealth mode.

Get an X50 or V1 radar detector, Veil, and a laser shield. Wait 2 months and then get a laser jammer.

JTW

Advanced Member

The level of laser protection you would get from using an X50 with the passive countermeasures leaves much to be desired. You can't count on the X50 to alert in all circumstances when you are being targeted, V1 is clearly superior here, AND it alerts to LA Stealth Mode.

I think if you are depending on passive countermeasures and a detector to provide a level of protection, you need a V1.

Jim

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster

Get an X50 or V1 radar detector, Veil, and a laser shield. Wait 2 months and then get a laser jammer.
    This would certainly be wonderful for him, but money is important here.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    The V1....has poor POP support?
    What are you talking about? The guys of lidar found out the V1 had the best POP detection of them all. These guys are the only ones that aren't paid by the manufacturers to do the tests, so they hold much more weight then SML.
    I actually meant to delete that...whoops ops:

My main issue with the V1 is why spend $400 on a detector when you can get a near-equal for $75-100 less and put that money to use on further passive countermeasures?

Scratonicity Groupie

hrm... this is a tough choice! but after doing a little digging here is what I think you can do. If you browse eBay you are going to be able to get a V1 for about 200 + some change. However there is a problem going this route, you could have no warranty. In the V1 manual it explains only the first buyer gets a warranty but you could always call Valentine and tell them you are considering buying a detector from a friend at work can they give you a warranty / or let you send it in for future upgrades? if you go this route be sure to request the serial # and run it through V1's website to make sure its the revision they are advertising. A lot of sellers advertise the newest when they have a 3.818 unit etc....

And let’s see about a laser jammer… If you’re like me in DE we have pro laser III and that's it so I could careless. Blinder dominates the Pro Laser III, if I drive in MD again its sweet MD from what I can tell only uses Pro Laser III. So do a little digging and see what your state uses or maybe we can help you find out.

if its a pro laser III state go with the blinder from Roy. You’ll get top notch support from him and Blinder Dude. if you live in a state where the LTI / Stalker are used I'd pass on any blinder setup and wait for the Anti Laser 6 to come out. But if he's dying to buy now the only option I see for him that I'd trust day in and day out is the Blinder!

So after all is said and done My Recommendation is as follows!

If he can hold on for 3 months, take 100 bucks a month and put it on top of the 550 he has now bam $850, he can buy a new V1 and the AL6. To be honest this is the only route I'd put my stamp of approval on

Speed Demon

Does the V1.7 detect stealth and for that matter can it detect other laser guns with adequate frequency?