Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Default What the hell are these things?

There are more and more of these going up around South Florida highways and I don't like the look of them.

Can anyone tell me what they are?

Experienced

Default Re: What the hell are these things?

they look like they might be the in cab signaling for truckers sending info for them to stop at the next stop or not

Banned

clouds???

Traffic monitoring devices, does your RD go off near them?

Newcomer

What highway specifically, I-95? I've heard roumers of speed cameras being put up under overpasses along 95 but am unsure.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by V995OHDH View Post
    they look like they might be the in cab signaling for truckers sending info for them to stop at the next stop or not
    Something of that sort. Whatever they are, they are nothing for you to worry about.

Trust your government. They know what is best for you.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

These pictures were taken on the Turnpike, south of 836.

I haven't received a ton of signals that I can attribute to these devices with any certainty, although they're often around when I can't find any other culprit.

I've got a V1 on All Bogeys mode (X band off) so it's not like I'm used to a totally quiet cockpit or anything, but I do sometimes get a V1 (but not LI) laser warning near tolls where these things seem to be, and I've also got very rare random weird K or Ka hits that seem to originate from anonymous looking work vehicles parked near these things, thus my suspicion of them.

I worry that they're some device that can use my SunPass toll transponder to track my speed.

These aren't the greatest pictures and I feel like I might not have captured every distinct type of weird pole-mounted roadside devices that are popping up around here. There are some that are definitely cameras that I don't think I've got posted. I've got a new digital camera on the way, so hopefully I can get some better pictures of these things.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Monkey View Post
    I worry that they're some device that can use my SunPass toll transponder to track my speed.
    That technology has been operable since the very beginning. All they have to do is calculate the time between transponders -- like VASCAR -- and deduce your average speed, as well as your minimum speed. Fortunately, they don't use this technology for issuing citations. However, since Sunpass regulations specify that you cannot transfer the tag between multiple vehicles, one can't help but wonder if they are considering doing this in the future. You'll never catch me buying a Sunpass. By doing so, you're giving Big Brother permission to track your movements. Forget that.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

The last one looks like a solar powered, tilt, pan, and zoom camera. I do not have a clue about the other ones. I know they just installed dozens of cameras on the turnpike, not sure about anywhere else.

Also, the day they start tracking sunpass times I am cancelling that ****. Do they do this anywhere in the US yet? I feel like FL will be towards the end of this sort of change. I know they do it in Italy. In Spain the sure as hell don't, my average speed b/w those tolls was in excess of 100mph many times.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post
    Also, the day they start tracking sunpass times I am cancelling that ****.
    I dunno, Bro... I doubt they're going to call a press conference to announce that they are doing it. The only way you're going to find out is the hard way.

Do they do this anywhere in the US yet?
    There was an episode of Forensic Files, or some other such show, where they talked about proving a murder's trip to and from the scene by his toll pass.

They've been doing the same thing with your cellphone records for decades.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    I dunno, Bro... I doubt they're going to call a press conference to announce that they are doing it. The only way you're going to find out is the hard way.

There was an episode of Forensic Files, or some other such show, where they talked about proving a murder's trip to and from the scene by his toll pass.

They've been doing the same thing with your cellphone records for decades.
    Like I said, I think FL will be towards the end of such a change. Besides, if I do something that bad, I am screwed either way. FL already has my fingerprints. Also, they take pictures of every cars tags. So if they really did this, the only way you could avoid it is by never driving on a toll road.