Experienced

Default Cutoff point for performance in GOL testing?

I'm wondering what you guys think is the cutoff point for performance, in other words, was there a certain point on your road diagrams that past tha point detection would be useless? Was there a detector that didn't give enough warning to avoid a ticket?

I hope that is clear enough.

Old Timer

I think there is always room for improvement, as long as they have a city mode. If they had a city mode to reduce falsing on all the bands, I wouldnt see any harm in a detector that could pick up a cop 20 miles away. As long as it has tunnel vision and is not detecting supermarkets from the side.

I am not worried about laser anymore, that only thing im scared of when i am on the highways is instant on radar, and LA stealth.

Scratonicity Groupie

Seth I'm like you I no longer worry of laser! And after reading alot of documents that deal with fighting radar tickets in court, instant on is not acceptable. the LEO must be able to aquire a tracking history of your car, how is a 1 second burst a tracking history. mix that in with traffic, or at night where you have no depth perception and how can this be allowed to continue?

I feel fairly confident at this time that if I where to ever get a ticket for instant on I could fight the ticket and win. there are so many variables with radar that make it seem so out dated and how anyone could ever be written a ticket.

just by swinging a gun in the upward direction the speed can be adjusted, mix that in with freq's from the leo's radio, how about the radiator fan kicking on. next lets add that a proper tracking history is not possible or an acceptable method until around 500FT. radar can shoot for 3000+ feet bam, get the officer to admit he was tracking you at anyting over 500 ft and that's reasonable doubt.

I used to really fear instant on but the way our legal system is setup I say bring it on. I've been reading for a good 3 days now and its amazing you can keep a LEO on the stand for almost 25 minutes just pounding them with questions. Each one designed to raise reasonable doubt!

but that is just my thoughts at the moment!

Old Timer

The airconditioner is a good one, but the instant on does establish a tracking history. POP doesnt, which is why it needs to be switched over to instant on to obtain a lock.

I would liek to see a list of ways you could bring up reasonable doubt in a court room. It would be hard if you were the only one on a lone road, hit with instant on radar.

Advanced Member

I don't think there was such a cutoff in the case of our test course.

I can tell you that in our specific course and situation, all of the detectors (even the Cobra) alerted to the radar before there was line-of-sight with the targeting radar unit, so any of the detectors could have the potential of saving you from a ticket. With some detectors, you would have plenty of time to slow down, with others you would need to be much quicker on the brakes.

However, with other situations such as instant-on, it's a much different story.
    I want as much performance out of a detector as possible in order to detect weak instant on in the distance hitting traffic ahead, so I can slow down before it is "my turn"...

Jim

Good Citizen

Default Laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    I am not worried about laser anymore, that only thing im scared of when i am on the highways is instant on radar, and LA stealth.

Why are you not worried about laser anymore?

Old Timer

blinder & veil of coarse... I got to test nearly all the guns against my car, and let me tell you that silver cavalier is pretty darn stealthy