Experienced

Default The effect of fog on measures & countermeasures?

My wife and I drove up from Miami to Chicago for the holidays (1434.6 miles in 21:10 with a little over two motionless hours during pit stops and a long lunch break; lots of helpful warnings from Trapster, V1 worth its weight in gold as well obviously, and during my brief nap my wife got her first kill with the LI at ~90), and while driving through northern Florida and southern Georgia at night, there was an occasionally dense, patchy fog.

I was wondering what effect fog has on radar and LIDAR guns, as well as what effect it can have on RDs and laser jammers. I searched, but fog is too short for the search feature to digest...

Thanks!

Good Citizen

Default Re: The effect of fog on measures & countermeasures?

Fog and precipitation in general will have a large effect on detecting radar.

Where I live, we get lots of rain, fog, drizzle, snow, etc.

On a clear day/night, I can get my local false K's quite a distance before I can on a crappy day. The difference, I don't know, guessing I'd say 500-750ft. or more depending on the density, enough to make a difference between a save and a ticket that's for sure.

However, it isn't something I pay attention to really, when the weather is ****ty enough to mess with my radar I tend to slow down anyway.

Stealthed Like a B-2

Nice, that would be a fun drive.

Fog makes lidar pretty much useless, it doesn't work well or even work at all in fog but the chances of a LEO shooting in fog is quite slim.

What type of trapster saves did you get? Live, POI's? I've had one live iPhone Trapster save that was pretty neat on my *first* day of using it, which is quite ironic considering I haven't had another encounter like it yet, lol. I always post them though even though.

I also really hate the search feature thing. 3 characters is too long for it to be blocked, they should do like 2 or have an exact match feature which you could search for 2 or more letters and not bring up words that use "and" like "sand."

Good Citizen

I have a question in similar means.

If say my front and rear windshield fog up on a cold humid day, would that affect radar and laser reception as well? Do I have to pretty much keep my windshields clean all the time?

By the way, I finally pulled the trigger on a V1 (also my first ever RD). Can't wait until it comes.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by primehifi View Post
    Fog and precipitation in general will have a large effect on detecting radar.

Where I live, we get lots of rain, fog, drizzle, snow, etc.

On a clear day/night, I can get my local false K's quite a distance before I can on a crappy day. The difference, I don't know, guessing I'd say 500-750ft. or more depending on the density, enough to make a difference between a save and a ticket that's for sure.

However, it isn't something I pay attention to really, when the weather is ****ty enough to mess with my radar I tend to slow down anyway.
    So is the radar gun itself equally compromised by fog?

I know it's sort of a narrow question--after all, who's going 30 over PSL in a 60' fog, but in a light fog where your visibility isn't hindered much, what effect is there on the radar gun itself?

Quote Originally Posted by YTCD View Post
    Nice, that would be a fun drive.

Fog makes lidar pretty much useless, it doesn't work well or even work at all in fog but the chances of a LEO shooting in fog is quite slim.

What type of trapster saves did you get?
    It is a pretty fun drive. Unfortunately, I'm usually about ready for my nap when we get to the twisties in the Chattanooga area, so my wife typically gets that leg of the journey...

Trapster saves were from POIs--I have it set to alert at 3/4 mile rather than 1/4 mile or whatever the default is. It was nice to have a little heads up to ease off the gas and to sharpen my attention that much more, and there were a couple alerts that actually had a bear in the cave (including one where I've received a ticket in the past in Perry, GA). I don't have unlimited text messages so I don't have anything set up for live warnings.

Thanks for the insight, guys.

***YTCD--no offense intended, but that's a pretty absurdly long signature, especially considering how much of it is still currently in the planning phase...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Monkey View Post
    So is the radar gun itself equally compromised by fog?

I know it's sort of a narrow question--after all, who's going 30 over PSL in a 60' fog, but in a light fog where your visibility isn't hindered much, what effect is there on the radar gun itself?
    I have no idea. It's been something I've wondered for a while actually... I THOUGHT I'd read on here that it can reduce the distance that an officer can get a ticketable reading quite substantially, but I have no source on that.

Experienced

So does anyone know whether radar guns are as compromised by fog as detectors are or to what extent?