Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cloth

Good Citizen

Default cloth

Will a rag or hat change reading on RD65...Would like to mount on dash :?:Would mounting on dash away from window cause problem :?:

Radar Fanatic

Cloth or a hat will do absolutely nothing to radar detection as long as there nothing metallic in the way of the antenna. You will not be able to receive laser, however. If you are trying to keep a low profile I think you would be better off hardwiring and mounting high unless you have a convertible or something.

Good Citizen

Default rd

I now have on visor......I also have tint line....feel it is hampering detection :roll:

Radar Fanatic

Is it metallic aftermarket tint or just the standard blue factory tint? The plain blue tint shouldn't hurt radar detection, but probably kills weak LIDAR signals. Do you have a metallic film on your windscreen? (looks bronze or purple from the outside.) That would definitely kill detection. Honestly I don't think there is much else that could hurt you as long as the detector itself is functioning properly.

I always tell people who question their placement to go find a weak-ish K-band radar source like a door opener that you can in front of but not so close as to peg the strength meter. That way you can mess with the location to your heart's content and if there is anything interfering with the signal you will know about it.

Power User

I used to run my RD under a dash mat and i never had a problem with detection at all. Same with the tint strip.

Good Citizen

Default tint

I park in a garage ....There is a automatic door right in front of me When I have on visor there is no warning :twisted: But after placing on dash...I get warning :P I feel like I'm not getting the most out of my RX65 I just don't want it sitting in plan sight... :roll:

Radar Fanatic

Why you're so afraid of driving your vehicle with the RD in plain sight??? Except VA, DC and half east of Cuba North (that's Canada), everywhere else is perfectlly legal to drive with one fully in use!!! But to give you my advice, as I live in Ontario and my S2, fully in use almost all the time, cannot be seen by anybody, and if you don't mind placing funny things on your dash, find a large wallet your RD will fit in, best is to match, or close to your dash's color, cut both ends so you can see the display and hear the alarms and then place it somewhere on the dash where is the best for you... or go to any Spy Store and get some "special" stuff where you can easily hide you RD and still use it fully!!!
    Best of luck.
    Road Warrior

Good Citizen

Default rd

Yeah your right about it being legal :roll: But if they want to bust your chops they can find 100 things to ticket you for......A RD is like giving the finger to the law So don't invite it

Radar Fanatic

"100 things to ticket you for"... such as? They are not gonna waste their time for a broken tail light, but yes, they can pull you over for not signaling a lane change or turn... America is NOT a police state (unless you are a left winger and obviously you will see US different than me)... having an RD, up and running, is not breaking the law, if he/she nailed you for speeding and they will see you RD all they can do is to laugh at you, "what a sucker, he/she spent money on a RD and I was able to ticket him/her"... hey man, have more self-esteem, more confidence in yourself... 2 months ago I was comming from a long trip to CO/UT/Montana/Mt.Rushmore/Sturgis/Dulluth in Minnessota and on my way back to Ont, in a rest area in Michigan just beside me a white van, Kentucky plate, with TWO (2) RDs in plain view, bottom of the windshield, on board a 70 year old man, of course I asked him lots of RD questions, one after another he told me he was an WW2 and Korean Vet, I have GREAT respect for military people who serve their own country and defend our freedoms and liberties, so he didn't even bother to hide them at all!!!

Good Citizen

I have always had mine in plain sight. I would rather have the best detection possible than worry about being seen with a RD. It is not illegal in NY. If the cop beats the RD you are probably going to get a ticket anyway...or try hiding it while he is turning around.