Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Question for people who fabricate things...

I'm thinking that I would like to make another dash pod for my remote display like I had in my old car. Thing is, I don't want to make it out of lexan again because it didn't hold together well and it looked really tacky. Instead I'm thinking about fabricating something from MDF (medium density foam) since I can sculpt it to pretty much any shape I want. But where do I get it? Are there local sources for that kind of thing or do I have to order blocks of the stuff online somewhere?

Also, what's the best way to finish the surface for painting? Some kind of "mud" or epoxy?

Yoda of Radar

I don't know, but what I would do is cut a hole in the dash and integrate the remote display into that.

Good Citizen

Default foam breaks down

have you considered that most foams will break down under ultravilet sunlight. after awhile it looks like it melted and becomes brittle and shrinks.

anyway, this is my experience with most foam products, please read manufacturers lititure on product before you sink alot of time into it and see it shrink and melt before your eyes.

Radar Fanatic

The melting under UV thing definitely sounds like an experience to be avoided. If it really is a UV issue I would think that I could avert it with some kind of external covering material. Thanks for the heads up.

As for integrating it into the dash, there is one really good place right where the clock is. I've seen it done and it looks great, as if it belongs there. The only thing I don't like about that location is that it's father from the instrument cluster which means I have one extra spot that my eyes have to sweep. Who knows, I might still consider it if I can't make a pod that I like. I'll need materials either way, though.

Cheetah Rep

use fiberglass and bondo.
    fiberglass is great for the basic form and bondos good for the fine details and finish.

make your basic form, using paper, cardboard, or whatever works, then use fiberglass layers to build it up, on both sides so it's sturdy, then a coat or two of bondo to finish it. when bondo just starts to set you can easily carve it for some detail then sand it down when it sets. some primer and color matched paint then you're done.

now this is the simplified answer if you've never done it before, but it works. you just may have to spend some time working on it.

plus home depot and most auto parts stores have them.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    use fiberglass and bondo.
    fiberglass is great for the basic form and bondos good for the fine details and finish.

make your basic form, using paper, cardboard, or whatever works, then use fiberglass layers to build it up, on both sides so it's sturdy, then a coat or two of bondo to finish it. when bondo just starts to set you can easily carve it for some detail then sand it down when it sets. some primer and color matched paint then you're done.

now this is the simplified answer if you've never done it before, but it works. you just may have to spend some time working on it.

plus home depot and most auto parts stores have them.
    are you stupid !!! if you use alot of bondo all it will do is fall out or crack.Never use bondo if you can help it.

Radar Fanatic

I think Saabr may just win this one. I've taken another look at the clock assembly and I think that I can make the remote display fit cleanly within that piece of trim. The location isn't as bad as I was originally imagining; right smack in the middle of the dash above my climate control panel, so significantly easier to see than the radio. It will be tight but there's a chance.

Cheetah Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat
    are you stupid !!! if you use alot of bondo all it will do is fall out or crack.Never use bondo if you can help it.
    who the **** are you calling stupid, jackass!
    i spent years working for a general contractor and we did a lot of custom work with bondo over the years, a lot of it in exterior locations and to this day he has never had a problem with it "falling out" or cracking. And this is with years of exposure. just because you may have that problem doesn't mean that everyone else does.

you need to pay attention to what you read. bondo to fill in the cracks and grooves to smooth out the finish won't crack and fall out. did you actually read what he is making???

brick, sorry to hijack your thread. good luck on your project. be sure to post before and after pics when you're done.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX

brick, sorry to hijack your thread. good luck on your project. be sure to post before and after pics when you're done.
    Don't worry about it. I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm going to take everything apart after work to see if there is really room there or if I need to find another spot. If anything exciting happens you can bet I'll post pictures within 10 minutes .

Cheetah Rep

if it does fit behind it i think the biggest trick will be to get in there and mount the display secure enough so it doesn't fall in when you hit the mute button.