Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lidar

Default Lidar

I see tons of people say that when you get a Lidar alert that you are basically caught. If your going say 10 over the PSL, and a cop starts to hit you with a laser, from what I've seen in videos, it takes about 2 or more seconds to get a reading. Wouldn't it be a reasonable amount of time to slow down? Also, my radar detector is mounted above the rear-view mirror. How much does that decrease my chances of alert from my Vector 940?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Lidar

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman692 View Post
    I see tons of people say that when you get a Lidar alert that you are basically caught. If your going say 10 over the PSL, and a cop starts to hit you with a laser, from what I've seen in videos, it takes about 2 or more seconds to get a reading. Wouldn't it be a reasonable amount of time to slow down? Also, my radar detector is mounted above the rear-view mirror. How much does that decrease my chances of alert from my Vector 940?
    It's usually takes about a third of a second to get a reading. Watch how fast my PLII gets a reading on my car once I turn my jammers off. You wouldn't even be able to get your foot to the brake pedal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNetSO9FXY]YouTube - Laser Interceptor vs Kustom Pro Laser II[/ame]

Radar Fanatic

With my 955 mounted by the RVM, I've picked up two laser hits since Saturday night. The first time it was driving by campus when I was alerted as the LEO shot the car in front, then I was alerted again, presumably after I slowed down and he shot my car.
    Last night as I was driving through downtown, not speeding due to LEO cars parked at approximately every 2 blocks, I was alerted to a laser shot. I don't recall any laser alerts since I moved my RD up high last year, but seeing it give alerts when a rabbit is targeted is better than being alerted when I'm targeted.

I've wondered what would happen if you tried to 'evade' an LEO after you got the laser indication. Depending on where I was, I might try to take the next available opportunity to remove myself from the highway.

...I'm wondering how LIDAR encounters are staged? Does the LEO assume that his target is unaware of getting hit? If so, they might stage their encounter such that there is a place to exit.

Radar Fanatic

The encounter I had on saturday had an escape route just incase. If I was speeding when he hit me, I had the oppurtunity to make a turn, and the LEO would have to travel in the wrong direction on a one way street to follow me. This, IMO was a poorly set up trap if he tagged someone with a detector/jammer, yet most who dont have any countermeasures would be an easy ticket to write up considering he was well hidden from view.

Advanced Member

Honestly I know people think they have been saved from laser with just their detector in the past but its a myth...Sorry to tell you that, but those people that think they were saved were just not going fast enough to warrant a ticket from the cop.

Honestly laser guns aren't hard to shoot. A ferw of my fraternity brothers would shoot my laser atlanta for fun and after the 5th car they were getting instant speed readings

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

^^ I love the rumble of the GT's V8.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
    ^^ I love the rumble of the GT's V8.
    As do I, oddly enough.

Last edited by tosi; 02-27-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01 View Post
    I don't recall any laser alerts since I moved my RD up high last year, but seeing it give alerts when a rabbit is targeted is better than being alerted when I'm targeted.
    I was just thinking about that. So I guess it would be better to have a high mount to TRY to intercept laser off of a rabbit.