Good Citizen

Default Mounting Bell RX65 combined with Blinder M40

I'm looking at picking up both a Blinder M40 system (for front and rear) on a medium sized dark metallic gray sedan, VEIL coating, and also a Bell RX65.

Question I have though is, I know the RX65 can be hardwired, and I'm probably going to do it, but I don't want it to be mounted on the dashboard or middle of the windshield. Ideally I want to mount it flush to the roof of the vehicle (on the inside), just behind the windshield (you know where the map lights usually are on cars). I'd probably mount it to the right or left of the map lights, not sure yet.

But, the question is, will it still detect well from this position? I'm not too worried about mounting it low like Radar Roy says for laser detection, because anything low will be detected (and theoretically blocked) by the Blinder system. But someone mentioned that they can now aim at your windshield and get a laser reading from that? That's another topic...

Anyhow I figure I'll velcro it to the top or something, or make a snap-on, snap-off case so I can put it up there and pull it back off easily. Will it detect well enough from up there? Will it be hampered at all because it's flush with the roof of the vehicle?

Oh, and there won't be any problems with the Blinder/RX65 combination will there?

Experienced

Radar waves can travel through several object, but not metal. As long as the front lense on your radar detector is not blocked by metal or another solid object, it should perform just find. As for using Blinder and the X65, there should be absolutely no problem there either.

Good Citizen

Excellent. Does anyone have any experience with these two, how well they work? I'm planning on picking up the RX65 on eBay, but need to find a local dealer to buy/install the blinder from (I have no clue where it's going to go in the rear with the 2 rear transponders...)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barwick
    Excellent. Does anyone have any experience with these two, how well they work? I'm planning on picking up the RX65 on eBay
    :shock:
    If you get one from Ebay, there's no telling how well it will work. You might end up with something that is broken period or you might end up with a unit that looks new, but is actually a "factory second" that failed quality control or something. Best to buy from an authorized dealer otherwise you have no clue what you are getting and no warranty.

Lead Foot

I have the exact same setup except on a dark firebird and it has been working well for me.