Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default 2 Stalker units in cop car

I was driving to get some groceries last night and I got a Ka blip; figured an IO trap was ahead of me. I proceeded with caution...pulled up to a stop light with a cop to the right of me (we were both the first cars in the lane).

I pull up to a red light and a LEO is in the lane next to me, I had the windows rolled down and he did too, I looked over and saw he had 2 radar units (Stalkers) on his dash (Both were in "HLD" mode so I knew he was the one running IO). I'm guessing one was for the front and the other for the rear so he can see front and rear simultaneously.

He says to me..."nice radar detector". I respond "Yea, it sniffed out your IO". He gives me the stink eye and the light turns green. Afterward, I realized that antagonizing a cop isn't very smart.

Anyway, my question is, Has anyone seen their LEO's running dual radar units?
    Last edited by stevo1569; 02-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Lead Foot

Default Re: 2 Stalker units in cop car

Experienced

Ahh, thats it! From what I could see in his car, it looked like he had 2 separate units, but one look at this rings bells. What part of Florida do you live in?

Radar Fanatic

You were not breaking any laws.. talk all the **** you want to. He started it anyhow. It is sad that the people who are supposed to "serve" the community are usually held up on intimidating everyone.

Where are you in FL btw?

Experienced

I'm down in Naples, FL.

I was going to be a little more snarky but I didnt want him to pull me over for some frivolous violation. The cops here are nasty! That night I passed by at least 5 speed traps on various roads.

I see you're from Miami...How are the cops in Dade?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1569 View Post
    I'm down in Naples, FL.

I was going to be a little more snarky but I didnt want him to pull me over for some frivolous violation. The cops here are nasty! That night I passed by at least 5 speed traps on various roads.

I see you're from Miami...How are the cops in Dade?
    From what I have seen. Miami Dade, Miami City, and Hialeah cops DO NOT CARE if you speed. I pass them all the time on the interstate but I try to make sure I am a few lanes away and do it gradually. Coral Gables motorcycle cops ONLY give tickets and they have laser and (I think) radar. They hide behind trees and ****. On the same road, I will literally do only 5 over and then when I cross the street that marks the border of the "city" of Coral Gables I will be doing 15-20 over. Also, watch out for FHP and then they are serious about speeding up in Broward county. Lastly, if you are going through the reservation in the Glades you need to watch out (I have been told) and do not speed at all in Key Largo if you take US1.

There are other municipalities that I have not really observed that much so proceed with caution, but this is what I have seen in the last 8 months since moving here.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post
    It is sad that the people who are supposed to "serve" the community are usually held up on intimidating everyone.

Where are you in FL btw?
    I think your statement applies to about 5% of police officers. No better or worse than any other profession.

West Palm Area.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by teeto View Post
    I think your statement applies to about 5% of police officers. No better or worse than any other profession.

West Palm Area.
    Dude.. I have worked with cops for most of my working life. They have to be very assertive towards criminals and it usually drifts over into other encounters where they disagree with citizens (like people using RDs... not illegal, but defying LEOs a little).

How are other professions required to "serve" the community? And when was the last time that a salesman tazered someone because they didn't like what they said?

That said, I have large amounts of respect for LEOs and the risk they assume and what they do for us. I have been good friends with most LEOs I know, but you do not want to piss them off... ESPECIALLY if you SEEM to be in the wrong.

That's all I'm saying. But, I really disagree that people in other professions strive to be as intimidating as cops do.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post
    Dude.. I have worked with cops for most of my working life. They have to be very assertive towards criminals and it usually drifts over into other encounters where they disagree with citizens (like people using RDs... not illegal, but defying LEOs a little).

How are other professions required to "serve" the community? And when was the last time that a salesman tazered someone because they didn't like what they said?

That said, I have large amounts of respect for LEOs and the risk they assume and what they do for us. I have been good friends with most LEOs I know, but you do not want to piss them off... ESPECIALLY if you SEEM to be in the wrong.

That's all I'm saying. But, I really disagree that people in other professions strive to be as intimidating as cops do.
    I don't disagee with most of what you said, but the general attitude on this forum is that cops are ruthless and will write tickets for whatever speed they want regardless of how fast you were actually traveling. Your post about talking smack to the PO just reinforces that attitude.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by teeto View Post
    I don't disagee with most of what you said, but the general attitude on this forum is that cops are ruthless and will write tickets for whatever speed they want regardless of how fast you were actually traveling. Your post about talking smack to the PO just reinforces that attitude.
    I am not talking smack.. it is just something I have noticed in my time working with LEOs. I understand how it might be viewed given the context of this forum though. I too disagree that cops are ruthless and crazy about tickets, but some are and some are not. Hence my comments about the motocops who hide in bushes or additionally cops that I used to know that tried to beat everyone for the most tickets in their precinct.

No hard feelings... I think we are on the same page for the most part.