Newcomer

Default Bel 955-a busy morning

I got this detector for christmas and hadn't had many encounters til yesterday. I would like some clarification please because I am a new guy. These encounters did not result in traffic stops I was about PSL +8.

episode 1: full laser alert in light traffic, just 1 lone pickup truck ahead. No LEO s in site. Then another alert about 1/2 mile later, still no LEO in site. Later that day I came thru that same area and detector was quiet. Does this sound like I was blasted by LEO or a false alert? This is my 1st Laser blast.

episode 2: full x alert (no ramp up) from Ohio State Patrol coming around a curve 500 ft. Is This likely I/O or C/o because it was a curve?

episode 3: OSP full K alert coming around a curve 1/2 mile ahead, again no ramp up. Same question as episode 2.

Mike from Ohio
    Last edited by mrkrausman; 02-25-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add text

Experienced

Default Re: Bel 955-a busy morning

You've got a great detector. Ok, here we go...

full laser alert in light traffic, just 1 lone pickup truck ahead. No LEO s in site. Then another alert about 1/2 mile later, still no LEO in site. Later that day I came thru that same area and detector was quiet. Does this sound like I was blasted by LEO or a false alert? This is my 1st Laser blast.
    This could be one of two things.

1) It WAS in fact a real LEO running laser and you didn't see him.
    2) It was a false from either the brake lights on the pickup truck or IR from the sun.

I would probably place my bets on #2. What was the time of travel when this occurred?

full x alert (no ramp up) from Ohio State Patrol coming around a curve 500 ft. Is This likely I/O or C/o because it was a curve?
    It could be C/O but I would place my bets on I/O. If it was a constant on you would of had a small time frame of a warning especially since it's X band (The easiest to detect)

OSP full K alert coming around a curve 1/2 mile ahead, again no ramp up. Same question as episode 2.
    Again, this is most likely I/O. The 955 should give you at least a small window of wrning on X and K bands. Ka maybe not, but definitely X and K.

For the last 2 questions. Did your 955's Display of X and K have the band letter and a full strength bars flashing? If so then that's an I/O alert.

Hope that helped somewhat

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1569 View Post
    You've got a great detector. Ok, here we go...

This could be one of two things.

1) It WAS in fact a real LEO running laser and you didn't see him.
    2) It was a false from either the brake lights on the pickup truck or IR from the sun.

I would probably place my bets on #2. What was the time of travel when this occurred?

It could be C/O but I would place my bets on I/O. If it was a constant on you would of had a small time frame of a warning especially since it's X band (The easiest to detect)

Again, this is most likely I/O. The 955 should give you at least a small window of wrning on X and K bands. Ka maybe not, but definitely X and K.

For the last 2 questions. Did your 955's Display of X and K have the band letter and a full strength bars flashing? If so then that's an I/O alert.

Hope that helped somewhat
    As far as the laser hit, it was 9 am bright sunshine with some snowcover. But it only happened once on that 1 hour trip. And yes each radar hit had full bars displaying X and K respectively.

Radar Fanatic

the 955 is very sensitive to the sun, more than any other detector I have had, and also sensitive to LED signs/ neon brake lights. When testing my 955 against a real laser gun it never went off, it is just not reliable with laser, if it does go off it is some other source.
    Last edited by languy99; 02-25-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Experienced

Ok, the laser alert you got then was most likely false. It happens to everyone, at random times, and at random locations.

And yes each radar hit had full bars displaying X and K respectively.
    That would definitely identify an I/O encounter. Luckily you weren't doing 15-20+ PSL.

Specular reflections off of snow with a low sun might cause a false laser alert. And, as mentioned, it could have been due to the brake lights on the pickup truck ahead of you. Was there by chance an overpass? Sometimes officers like to shoot laser from the overpass and you might not have spotted him in his car if there were a bunch of other cars on the overpass.

Both your X and K alerts were I/O hits since in either case you would have had some ramp-up before the patrol cars came into full view.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    Specular reflections off of snow with a low sun might cause a false laser alert. And, as mentioned, it could have been due to the brake lights on the pickup truck ahead of you. Was there by chance an overpass? Sometimes officers like to shoot laser from the overpass and you might not have spotted him in his car if there were a bunch of other cars on the overpass.

Both your X and K alerts were I/O hits since in either case you would have had some ramp-up before the patrol cars came into full view.
    yes this laser alert happened on stretch where I was headed directly into a low sun. There was one overpass but no I saw no one.

As far as the radar I/o, they are obvously trained to blast coming around curves...indefensible, gave me a couple adrenaline rushes.

Experienced

You're also luck the LEO's in your area had a high threshold for the speed. In my area 5+ PSL will get you a pull over