Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Forward-facing config

Hello

Quick question (well maybe not so quick). In terms of all the top-end detectors (V1, 9500iX, Bel STi Driver), which one has the best sensitivity against forward-facing LEOs who like to shoot in the a$$?

Obviously this mixed with I/O usage is a deadly anti-detector move used by well-trained speed enforcers, and it is widely used here in NJ by the NJSP. It is probably more important for us here in NJ to know which RD stands out best against forward-facing. The radar output is clearly off-axis and the only shot we have is by picking up the "bounces" from the other vehicles or objects being shot.

And yes I did see GOL's 2007 testing, but all 3 of these RD's have been updated/upgraded since, and of course I'm sure you've all had different encounters since then.

DJ, I know you have encountered this (I saw your video with the "Sneaky NHP tactic" title. Do you pick these up with the V1/9500? If so, at a safe distance?

Speedtrap Crasher

Default Re: Forward-facing config

It'll be hard to beat the v1 for any configuration that requires peak sensitivity plus the arrows will help locate your source.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

NJST are the best at the cat and mouse game.I lived there in Newark for 23 yrs.I listen to them on the turnpike on my scanner daily.Every call they call in is for"moving." They are some busy mofo's!! To survive their you would definitely need a cb,9500CI/V1 combo or STI-R/V1 combo,with some positive sort of laser defense.
    Last edited by mrcllusb; 02-26-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by mrcllusb View Post
    NJST are the best at the cat and mouse game.
    That they are.

Experienced

I know the V1 would beat out both the 9500iX and the STi, but between the STi and the 9500iX, which do you think would pick up this kind of configuration better?

FYI- NJSP uses X and Ka. I'd say it's about 50/50 now.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Xen0n flash View Post
    Hello

Quick question (well maybe not so quick). In terms of all the top-end detectors (V1, 9500iX, Bel STi Driver), which one has the best sensitivity against forward-facing LEOs who like to shoot in the a$$?

Obviously this mixed with I/O usage is a deadly anti-detector move used by well-trained speed enforcers, and it is widely used here in NJ by the NJSP. It is probably more important for us here in NJ to know which RD stands out best against forward-facing. The radar output is clearly off-axis and the only shot we have is by picking up the "bounces" from the other vehicles or objects being shot.

And yes I did see GOL's 2007 testing, but all 3 of these RD's have been updated/upgraded since, and of course I'm sure you've all had different encounters since then.

DJ, I know you have encountered this (I saw your video with the "Sneaky NHP tactic" title. Do you pick these up with the V1/9500? If so, at a safe distance?
    Thats weird i also live in NJ and i travel on the highway everyday (Garden State Parkway and NJTP) i have never seen a trooper using I/O. 99% of the time its laser. I have seen on trooper hiding behind an overpass use C/O x band but thats about it.

Speedtrap Crasher

Quote Originally Posted by Xen0n flash View Post
    I know the V1 would beat out both the 9500iX and the STi, but between the STi and the 9500iX, which do you think would pick up this kind of configuration better?

FYI- NJSP uses X and Ka. I'd say it's about 50/50 now.
    If you're sure NJSP doesn't use any RDDs then I would say the 9500ix. It edges the STi out on forward facing detection range.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
    If you're sure NJSP doesn't use any RDDs then I would say the 9500ix. It edges the STi out on forward facing detection range.
    I can't wait to see how the current STi, V1 and 9500ix stack up at the next GOL. There are lots of first hand accounts around here these days that don't match what we've seen from the GOL data from 2007.

Lead Foot

My re-flashed Sti will beat my 9500i forward facing or not on 34.7. Sti-R beats them both (pretty easily actually). Happened to me today where I got a quick 1 blip on the Sti-R and about 3/4 of a mile later down a hill was a NYSP shooting the opposite side of the Northway - and he seemed to be very selective waiting for drivers to come over a hill as I did not get another alert until I was about a mile down the road from him.

Sti alerted only when he shot someone after I passed him.

I would agree we need some new tests. Since 2007 we have had some different detectors and firmware upgrades to existing ones.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by samq45 View Post

I would agree we need some new tests. Since 2007 we have had some different detectors and firmware upgrades to existing ones.
    Definitely. I emailed GOL emphasizing the importance of testing forward-facing. The answer I got from Jimbonzz:
    We'll definitely use all three bands. Can't say for sure if we'll do a forward facing test or not, but we'll definitely consider it when the time comes.