Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Question How annoying is your RD to your passengers?

I was driving 2 of my friends to the beach last night and I had my V1 on (like it should be) I was coming up on an I/O trap that the V1 was sniffing out about a mile away and I hit the mute button and lowered the volume 50%. My friends started complaining about how annoying the thing was and how they don't really work.

I passed the I/O trap at the PSL and my friends say "wow - *With deer in headlights look*" They say they would rather get the ticket than have to deal with ANY annoying sound.

I intentionally bought the V1 because of it's sensitivity and I want to be the one to filter out the falses.

Their comments got me so worked up I felt compelled to bring this up. Has anyone else had their family/friends make comments?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: How annoying is your RD to your passengers?

Thats odd... I ask my detectors if the people are annoying them...

If my RD is 'speaking' at the moment, I say to the passengers: 'Shut up, don't talk over the RD!'

Radar Fanatic

I tell them,"don't like it, shut up, I don't care." My car, my license, my potential ticket.

Radar Fanatic

My grandfather is old and is skeptical of my 9500ix (like he is with most all technology). The one time he went with me on a trip we got nothing but I/O or no radar at all so still not convinced. One time on my old Cobra randomly got like a mile or something like that on Ka 34.7 and he was like.. how do you know that cop didn't already have your speed clocked?! RD ignorance drives me insane.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    RD ignorance drives me insane.
    A big X2

My mom hates riding with the V1 in the car but when I'm driving and someone tries to bash on my V1 being "annoying" I tell them its so I can hear it above their annoying voice. Or just a simple STFU! works.

Radar Fanatic

My 9500ix only goes off when there is a threat when we drive in places where I am blocked out false. That makes it much more tolerable. Usually when my family has people in the car I turn the display on low brightness, put it in auto mode, and turn the volume down to 1 or 1.5 bars. However I still refuse to drive without it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1569 View Post
    My friends started complaining about how annoying the thing was and how they don't really work.
    I don't seem to have this problem.

I actually get many complements and stories they tell each other how it saved me many times with them in the car.

Speed Demon

Well my kids love it, the radar detector goes off and they immediately start playing "spot the cop". Usually, followed by choruses of "Daddy! over there!". Or, if X band goes off a little voice will go "aww... just a door". Very cute

Adults in the car are usually either fascinated or just ignore it. One of my nephews complained once and was informed if he didn't like the beeping he could find another ride.

Good Citizen

no one has commented to me that it is annoying so far, but I can tell they are thinking that. However when it comes time to drive, everyone wants to ride with me. Everyone has decided that since I have an RD that means I drive quickly.

Radar Fanatic

Some of the people who have driven with me understand why I need one
    When they ask about it I edumakate them and after awhile most have ended up buying one of their own