Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Removing factory "dot" tint?

Anyone try to remove the "dots" that manufacturers put across the top of some windshields? I just ordered a remote audio deal for my V1 and I have an idea, IF I can remove that stuff.

I was thinking about going to a pick-n-pull junkyard and trying a razor blade

Experienced

Default Re: Removing factory "dot" tint?

I don't know what the dots are composed of but I can image paint thinner might take it off. If that doesnt work the razor blade should do the trick.

Experienced

Why bother? They'll reduce the amount of sun hitting whatever electronics you have there. What about using some 5% tint over them? That would smooth out the raised dots and provide some cover for whatever you're doing.

Radar Fanatic

Also, someone suggested putting a dot of clear silicon in the center of the suction cut before applying to the glass.

Experienced

no you cant remove them, you may end up breaking the glass on accident to the inside is weaker than the outside the only way to maybe remove them is to order one wo the dots and it will be a new windshield replacement they run 200.00 and up mobile installed call your local autoglass shop dont call safelite they suck worldwide the dots are a new style of looks called a 3rd visor they suck yeah i know i put 2 layers of tint on my windshields sure keeps the sun out and on your 500.00 rd the lof or ppg brand are good the factory co pretty much tell them you want no dots and you want the shade windshield installed
    Last edited by glockboy20; 03-05-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Old Timer

In so far as I know, all attempts to try to remove the bonded ceramic dots have proven aesthetically unacceptable.

Scratonicity Groupie

It would be a crying shame if a rock where to fly up and crack your windshield this afternoon while driving behind a commercial dump truck that is carrying a load full of rock.

From there one could probably arrange for there insurance to replace the windshield, and from there you can pick out which one you want.

Just a thought...

Old Timer

^ ROFL!!!!

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton View Post
    It would be a crying shame if a rock where to fly up and crack your windshield this afternoon while driving behind a commercial dump truck that is carrying a load full of rock.

From there one could probably arrange for there insurance to replace the windshield, and from there you can pick out which one you want.

Just a thought...
    Funny you mention that, it seems to happen a lot here in Florida.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton View Post

Just a thought...
    I sell insurance for a living and if you haven't made a windshield/glass claim in awhile, they will never know the difference.