Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Good Citizen

Default GPS

I always here people talk about using GPS to be alerted of speed traps. What are the talking about? I didn't think that police would broadcast their locations. Inform me! lol

Thanks

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: GPS

Quote Originally Posted by gtp405
    I always here people talk about using GPS to be alerted of speed traps. What are the talking about? I didn't think that police would broadcast their locations. Inform me! lol

Thanks
    GPS is used against speed traps mainly in Europe. You see in europe, police don't have speed traps like we do here where they chase you down and hand you a ticket. Rather, they set up stationary photo-radar. If you go past one you'll get a ticket mailed to you.

The problem with these photoradars is they use very weak radar or laser... so they can be hard to detect, plus in most european countries radar detectors are illegal. So what they do is have databases of known photoradar locations that you can download to your GPS. Your GPS will then alert you as you approach a position. There are a number of GPS systems which are dedicated for just this purpose, for example the road angel.

Hope that helps.

Lead Foot

Default Drivesmart GPS system

Yes we have lots of fixed cameras in the UK and Europe and mobile locations are also advertised and can be logged so you will get a warning when approaching a possible mobile laser site.
    Hand held Radar in the UK is seldom used now all Police forces here use Hand held laser or a safety van mounted laser trap.
    The Drivesmart is currently the most advanced on the market in Europe and the older non user programmable/subscription systems like Road Angel are like Rocky mountain Radar they are heavily marketed but do not offer the user any value all they want is the $90-$100 a year subscription charges they charge for updates.
    We give away the updates free of charge and our data is much more uptodate and accurate

Newcomer

Default Re: GPS

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    GPS is used against speed traps mainly in Europe. You see in europe, police don't have speed traps like we do here where they chase you down and hand you a ticket. Rather, they set up stationary photo-radar. If you go past one you'll get a ticket mailed to you.
    Well, actually in Finland we have BOTH, chasing unmarked police cars AND stationary photo-speedtraps...

Lead Foot

Default Finland is in our Database as well

Good job we have Finland in the database as well

Newcomer

Default Re: Finland is in our Database as well

Quote Originally Posted by drive-smart
    Good job we have Finland in the database as well
    What about Norway?

Lead Foot

Default Yes we have Norway and Sweden

Yes we cover Norway as well and Sweden/Denmark.
    There are also no problems with the GPS reception with our system specially in Finland.

Good Citizen

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Power User

there is somthing like 125 fixed speed cameras and 250 red light cameras in my state alone...GPS is very nessasary.

Radar Fanatic

there are 240 fixed gatsos in my county, and 4 laser vans on 52 routes!

gps are good but there not worth the subscription costs.

a radar detector does me because it tells you which are live, it picks up mobile traps, and detects laser!

gps are good for the non radar traps like ds2, truvelo and specs but there not in my local area!

there are some ds2 things in staffordshire but i dont think they are used very often.

and the spec cameras are on the motorways which i dont go on..

if i used the roads out of my area alot like going into london then gps would be a bonus but i'd also want a valentine aswell!