Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best one to warn you of emergency vehicles

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now. I am looking for a good detector for under 200 dollars that also warns you about roadside work and emergency vehicles. The radar part is a second thing that is not as important to me. I would like voice warnings too.

Thanks for any advice.

Administrator

Default SWS

Well if you are looking for a detector with SWS (Safety Warning System) Don't waste your time:

SWS - Safety Warning System
    Radar Roy calls it the SMS for show me a system! Innovative Technology Systems ( www.innovative-tech.com ) was formed to develop the Safety Warning Systems that were supposed to form part of the National Highway System. The idea was to have transmitters located on the highways that would transmit warning messages to approaching vehicles. The idea was brilliant, the follow through poor. Radar Roy knows of no police department or Highway Department that has ever purchased one of these transmitters. If you go to the company's website, the last update was made in October 2001. Someday this technology may be available, but for now don't let it influence your buying decision.

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ectorfeatures0
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Advanced Member

Some of the Cobras have a "Strobe Alert" that is supposed to warn you of emergency vehicles that are using the traffic light changers (like the MIRT).

But radar performance on Cobras is at the bottom of the pack...

Jim

Professional

Use your eyes and ears. They're cheaper and more reliable than any Crapra "SWS" or "Strobe Alert" system.

Power User

I don't want to say to much but I had one of the cobras that alerted to stobes and that thing could pick a strobe real well. Even one in my back seat not even facing it. :wink:

Well that's not very good news. I thought the SWS was better than that. what do you think of my second chose. The BEL RX55?

Banned

Default I may be wrong but,

My X50 says LASER whenever I am within 1200 ft of an Ambulance or Fire Truck or Rescue Vehicle.

Professional

Default Re: I may be wrong but,

Quote Originally Posted by DF
    My X50 says LASER whenever I am within 1200 ft of an Ambulance or Fire Truck or Rescue Vehicle.
    Really? Mine's never done that, and I've pulled over for emergency vehicles quite regularly living on a main road through Tempe.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: I may be wrong but,

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Quote Originally Posted by DF
    Really? Mine's never done that, and I've pulled over for emergency vehicles quite regularly living on a main road through Tempe.
    Depends on the brand/type of lights on the ambulance. Some will do it, some won't.

My SWS and "Strobe Alert" on my old Cobra would only alert when I was ~100ft from a vehicle. The strobe worked on police vehicles only at night and I only picked up one SWS warning from a DOT truck that was repaving a mountain road. It was basically a useless feature. If you want to know highway conditions get a scanner and program in the DOT, police and Fire/EMS frequencies, or buy a CB and listen for truckers to warn you of stuff. Not to sound like a broken record, but in the end there is no substitute for your eyes and ears.

-Clayton