Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    indoors
    Posts
    1,099

    Default POP- what's the point?

    It just occurred to me earlier tonight that POP radar is absolutely useless. The manual for the POP guns specifically says not to write tickets in that mode, and if one is written, it would not hold up in court. A cop who knows what he's doing with instant-on radar is far more effective than one using POP, because the one using POP still has to go into instant-on to write the ticket. So what's the point?

    The only situation where I can envision POP being of any use is for an officer who's surveying traffic from above and using POP to avoid giving people using crappy detectors advance warning of the instant-on before nailing them, but can't most officers tell just by eyeballing traffic who's going the speed limit and who's flying past it?

    Why does POP exist?

  2. #2
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,806

    Default Re: POP- what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Why does POP exist?
    One word - marketing. MPH had an idea for defeating detectors, went with it, and now (unfortunately for us) their guns are selling like hotcakes. It an ongoing game of cat and mouse.

    Even though LEOs aren't supposed to issue tickets based on POP readings, I'll bet a lot of them do anyway. How would you prove to the judge that the LEO didn't use the correct procedure when he pulls you over? They don't have to show you the gun, or tell you what mode he used. It would be your word against the LEOs, and whose word is the judge going to be baised toward?
    If I'm passing you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    If speed kills, how come I'm still alive?

    Active Countermeasures: V1 3.858, Escort Redline, Beltronics STi-R+, LI Dual 7.1x CPU/8.7 Heads (front)
    Other/Backup Countermeasures: V1 3.813 (loaned to friend), Beltronics Pro RX65 M4 6.3
    Vehicle: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    LEO Toys: Kustom Pro Laser II & III
    Encounters/Saves August 2011: Radar 3/1, Laser 0/0


  3. #3

    Default

    It's a "feeler". Think about it...You are sitting in the median at night and you see headlights coming straight at you. Can you really tell how fast that car is going? I think not.

    The obvious advantage I see to that feature is the ability to screen out speeders from non-speeders without broadcasting an unnecessary alert to distant detectors. Maybe the detector industry has caught on, but that was not always the case. And as you mentioned, cheap detectors are still plentiful, so I'm sure in the right hands this feature pays for itself.

    I keep POP detection on. I had one false yesterday (same area I was falsed on another occasion) and one legit hit. I thought it was a false, but an SO car went by just after the hit. He was "fishing". If you are serious about early detection, you want all the warning you can get. :wink:

  4. #4
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Westchester, NYC, and Capital Region, NY
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: POP- what's the point?

    Exactly... they can pretty much do whatever they want.. and considering a lot of traffic court judges are retired LEOs (or so I've heard), they'll probably let them get away with whatever - especially with the politics involved: if they don't make enough revenue from traffic violations, etc they may suffer as a consequence in their career.



    Quote Originally Posted by kpatz
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Why does POP exist?
    One word - marketing. MPH had an idea for defeating detectors, went with it, and now (unfortunately for us) their guns are selling like hotcakes. It an ongoing game of cat and mouse.

    Even though LEOs aren't supposed to issue tickets based on POP readings, I'll bet a lot of them do anyway. How would you prove to the judge that the LEO didn't use the correct procedure when he pulls you over? They don't have to show you the gun, or tell you what mode he used. It would be your word against the LEOs, and whose word is the judge going to be baised toward?

  5. #5
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    619

    Default

    If you have a POP detector, and you hear it go off POP!!! and you get pulled over, then testify in court that your detector only notified you of the POP and nothing else. If they did it by the book, you should hear two alerts: one for POP and one for the instant on.

  6. #6
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    Or, you pick them up spraying POP burst with wreckless abandon because they think that they are invisible. You slow down, they just sit there. Worked for me once. That does kind of make it pointless technology.

  7. #7
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Not sure if you travel out of state, but have you seen any POP in NY? I don't think my detector detects POP. It's a whistler 1744.

  8. #8
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    Not sure if you travel out of state, but have you seen any POP in NY? I don't think my detector detects POP. It's a whistler 1744.
    Personally no, my only encounter was here in CT (Merritt Parkway). However others have reported POP on NY highways. I believe crazyVOLVOrob said he spotted a Z-series gun which is the worst case scenario for a RD user.

  9. #9
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    Not sure if you travel out of state, but have you seen any POP in NY? I don't think my detector detects POP. It's a whistler 1744.
    Personally no, my only encounter was here in CT (Merritt Parkway). However others have reported POP on NY highways. I believe crazyVOLVOrob said he spotted a Z-series gun which is the worst case scenario for a RD user.
    Yes i spotted a Z-series gun used by a NY trooper and surprisingly my detector alerted or it was just a weird time for it to false....Some how i don't think the officer was engaging it into POP mode since in theory my detector shouldn't alert to 16ms POP

    NY troopers have bought a bunch of Bee III's and z-series guns with POP mode

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  10. #10
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I believe crazyVOLVOrob said he spotted a Z-series gun which is the worst case scenario for a RD user.
    why is that so bad? do most detectors not detect it?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. nsw-govt-urunga-point-to-point-camera-plan
    By StlouisX50 in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
  3. Former RTA safety chief calls for point-to-point cameras
    By StlouisX50 in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 09:34 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •