Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default newbie doing some shopping. . .

I got my Lotus Esprit a couple of weeks ago. It's been many years since I ever had a speeding ticket -- but this is the hottest car I've ever owned, and I think this might be time to finally acquire some countermeasures. The Lotus attracts more attention than my old Bonneville!

I've been doing some homework. . . I've got half a mind to get a Laser Blinder installed first, and then figure out what kind of radar detector later. And then the other half is thinking, maybe I should get a whole integrated remote detector and laser jammer installed in one shot.

I like the idea of having the detector out of sight. I'm not so sure about compromised performance from that kind of system, tho. I'm also concerned about getting something that can be installed neatly, including controls in the *limited* cabin space of the Lotus.

Anybody care to offer pointers? I'll be grateful for any.

Advanced Member

a system like the BEL RX75 Plus would be right for what you need...

If you are pretty handy you can deise your own mount for a dash mount detector to look hidden...I'd do that if i got a V1 and then get a AntiLaser AL6 laser jammer

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

My vote is with the RX75 Plus as well. Good radar detection, and good jamming to front and rear on everything except stealth mode laser (not common at all).

Professional

A Lotus Espirit? Holy Mongolia--what year? Are we talking a newer model, or one of the classic James Bond cars of the 1970s? Freakin' sweet either way!

My suggestion would be to throw down a lot of money--if you've got a Lotus, odds are you've got the money to do this. Get a brand-new V1 and hardwire it. That way you've got the best detection, and it's closer to out of sight than hanging from the windshield (a radar detector hanging from the windshield of a Lotus is like begging any officer nearby to pull you over). Then get a can of Veil and coat the front headlights and front plate (if you have one).

Now the hard part--waiting. Wait until the AL6 comes out and is tested before deciding between it and the Blinder. If the production models are anything like the prototypes, you'd be virtually invisible to lidar.

If you spent all your money on the Lotus itself, then go for the absolute highest end you can afford. With a Lotus, I'd say a V1 is a must, as is a Blinder M20.

Very nice purchase you've made--I'd love to see a picture of the car. Just so I can drool some, ya know?

Radar Fanatic

For such a nice car... match it up with only the best, V1 and a laser jammer

if not, get any of the top 3 and a jammer

Power User

hi m8 welcome...you cant go past Bel

arew detectors banned where u r from?? if so...watch this forum

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    A Lotus Espirit? Holy Mongolia--what year? Are we talking a newer model, or one of the classic James Bond cars of the 1970s?
    It's a 1997 model, first year they made the twin-turbo V8.

http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/img/blue_lotus.jpg

Get a brand-new V1 and hardwire it. That way you've got the best detection, and it's closer to out of sight than hanging from the windshield
    I'm not sure I follow you there. Where are you saying I should put the V1?

Then get a can of Veil and coat the front headlights and front plate (if you have one).
    Good news and bad news. . . As you can see from the photo, the Lotus has a low profile, it's a dark color, it has concealed headlights, no chrome on the front. Stealth car! Bad news, Texas requires me to have a front plate. So, I reckon that's where most of the VEIL will go. (And also on the fog lights, which you can't see in that photo because they're down in a hole.)

Wait until the AL6 comes out and is tested before deciding between it and the Blinder. If the production models are anything like the prototypes, you'd be virtually invisible to lidar.
    This is kind of tough. My inclination is to get something more proven, rather than waiting for a cutting-edge experiment. And there's certainly an appeal to the RX75 Plus, just because the radar detector and laser jamming are integrated into one system.

Very nice purchase you've made--I'd love to see a picture of the car. Just so I can drool some, ya know?
    Thanks! And since you asked nicely, I'll show you the "desktop wallpaper" image I'm using on my computer now. Warning: it's big. :)

http://users.htcomp.net/tbelding/tra..._1600x1024.jpg

Radar Fanatic

:shock: that is one nice car

Newcomer

Guys.. alot of my friends in CA have there front licence plate off and some of them said that cops have stoped them once or twice but all they do is give them a fix it ticket... i bet its like that in most states and you dont really need to be worryed about it.

Banned

One thing to solve the Lic's issue in texas "LASER SHIELD" the only way to go or put it inside the car on the window vary tacky but effective