Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snoopyc4

Default Ka Band Detection

Over the past couple of months, Ive noticed that the detection range of both my V1 and 9500ci against Ka 34.7 has varied greatly. Sometimes I can get a 2 mile warning and other times I only get less than half a mile. So, is 34.7 the hardest Ka frequency to pick up or is there another frequency that I should be worrying about?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Ka Band Detection

34.7 is the easiest of the Ka frequencies, 33.8 isn't much harder. 35.5 is the most difficult.

Speed Demon

No, 34.7 is the easiest in theory. You'll get variation on performance depending on the conditions - eg were you coming around a bend? up a hill? Was there any traffic around? Was the cop shooting away from you? Was it Instant On? How about Venus, did it move?

Any detection that's enough to allow you to slow down is good enough IMHO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01 View Post
    34.7 is the easiest of the Ka frequencies, 33.8 isn't much harder. 35.5 is the most difficult.
    X2.

LEO's are getting smarter and using angled shots for shorter detection range too.

I’ve started to see it allot lately.

Experienced

35.5 is the hardest.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by CJR238 View Post
    X2.

LEO's are getting smarter and using angled shots for shorter detection range too.

I don't think that even factors into why they set up like that. Probably just a matter of how they can get into a position where they aren't easily seen, and can also pull into traffic quickly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bart99gt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJR238 View Post
    X2.

I don't think that even factors into why they set up like that. Probably just a matter of how they can get into a position where they aren't easily seen, and can also pull into traffic quickly.
    I would agree, but they are doing it now when they didn’t before. The roads and hiding spots haven’t changed only there radar guns and positioning.

Experienced

I would agree, but they are doing it now when they didn’t before. The roads and hiding spots haven’t changed only there radar guns and positioning.
    Those sneaky basterds

Power User

I have noticed more setting up at an angle to the road to reduce detection range and also alot more Instant on usage. Sometime I pass 3 LEO's in a 50 mile stretch of interstate without as much as one beep. Makes me think somethings wrong, but they are just waiting for tha big fish to come into range. Setting up over the crest of a hill using instant on seems more common than 1 year ago also. Good thing I have the CB cause it saves me more oftem than my RD in certain states and areas.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Setting up over the crest of a hill using instant on seems more common than 1 year ago also. Good thing I have the CB cause it saves me more oftem than my RD in certain states and areas.
    LOL...you guys just haven't been driving long enough. Cops have been doing that for YEARS. When I was in high school some 15 years ago, one of the PDs close to where I lived was notorious for doing just that. Incidentally, they were also one of the first PDs I saw using Ka in my area about 10-11 years ago.