Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default USA tickets - which states transfer points to CANADA?

Having problems getting a clear picture of which states transfer points to my canadian license.

I got tickets last week in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Florida

I have a lawyer looking into it and put the question to them on Friday but havent heard back. Im itching to know.

Is there an uptodate list anywhere?

Only the cop in FLorida (56 in 35) said the infraction came with points - the other cops didnt say at the time.

I had my sti-r off at the time of the florida ticket by mistake.

One of the other tickets new mexico I think - the cops set up a cop on a bridge to LOOK like he was using radar but about 10 of our party came over the hill and not one detector whispered anything.

Experienced

Default Re: USA tickets - which states transfer points to CANADA?

Read the "Special Agreements" part of this article...

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact"]Driver License Compact - Wikipedia[/ame]

Hope that helps

Speed Demon

Dude. Four tickets in a week? I'd be worried about them transferring a license suspension for that more than the points...

Radar Fanatic

You have to be a little more specific on where you live. CANADA doesn't issue driver licences (the provinces do...) it would depend on which province you live in.

Most reciprocity agreements are with bordering states. For example: Ontario has a reciprocal agreemen t with NY, MI and perhaps some nearby states. So, its doubtful that places like AZ and NM would have agreements with Cdn provinces. FL and CA might, since these are states that Canadians routinely travel to.

J/

Speed Demon

LOL, 10 people in his caravan? 4 tickets? Cross-country? This smells a LOT like Gumball. How'd you finish?

rc

Newcomer

HeHeee - well deduced - It was gumball. I was fourth into miami but it doesnt mean anything as it genuinely isnt a timed race. Each day everyone starts out together or if the want to they can set off when they feel like it, so its impossible for cars to be pitted against each other.

I live in Ontario - poster is very right, it would help if I mention.

Seems the Florida cop mentioned the points because he knew the points would travel. That ticket was actually after the gumball finished. lol 1am on a monday morning/sunday night - stupid ticket. All other cops never mentioned points in handing out the tickets.

So looks like I "may" just have the Florida ticket to deal with more seriously.

If theres any documentation online over and above the wiki anyone can point me to to check out it would be great. I cant find anything else.

I got some pics of getting the tickets on my camera
    Last edited by Donnie; 05-18-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Newcomer

Nothing to worry about, only New York and Michigan have a reciprocal agreement with Ontario.

Demerit Point System

You could also avoid paying the tickets all together too, with the exception New Mexico, which has a reciprocity for unpaid tickets which lead to a suspension.

Mind you unpaid tickets tend to lead to bench warrants.

Newcomer

THANK YOU! You are the man!

Good Citizen

If you have the cash for gumball, just throw $500 at a lawyer in each state to make them go away.

Newcomer

I got a layer on it - its my first time going through this process - in fact these are my first tickets EVER! If as the Ontario Transportation website says ontario does NOT swap points with Florida then I can rest easy.

To be honest I should have checked this out BEFORE gumball - doh - then I could have paid the tickets as they came up and be done with them