Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Campus Safety's radar gun (pics)

I looked out my window tonight and saw a campus safety Impala (year 2000 model) in the parking lot. I decided I'd do some research and find out if they really are morons and don't know how to use their guns, or what.

I just took these pics at night, they don't look too bad for what I'm using.

Questions I have:
    1. I can pick up Ka band from a parked, unattended, not running campus safety car. Is that gun on batteries or what? On/off button they forgot?

2. I always pick up always on Ka band from campus safety. Does that gun have an instant on feature? What are its other features that I should be aware of?

3. What are those two antennas on the top of the car? I don't think I saw any on the trunk.

4. I didn't get a picture of the front of it, but what is that box under the registration, to the left of the radar gun? Is that part of the radar unit?

5. Any bugs or false speed readings this guns gives? Not likely I'd get a ticket but good to know if anyone else I know does.

6. (edit) Is that a K or Ka band gun? What frequency? I know Campus Safety has SUVs (maybe Tahoes) and I get Ka from those... I'm starting to wonder if I've ever passed an Impala, but I DO get readings from when they're parked. I've passed a few of the SUVs and know I get Ka from those. I've never heard a K reading on campus.

Thanks!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    1. I can pick up Ka band from a parked, unattended, not running campus safety car. Is that gun on batteries or what? On/off button they forgot?
    Yes, they can forget to turn the units off. Outrun had a video where he tested a detector against a radar unit left on in such a manner.

2. I always pick up always on Ka band from campus safety. Does that gun have an instant on feature? What are its other features that I should be aware of?
    The unit in the picture is K-Band, not Ka. From the label on the antenna, it must be a Kustom KR-10 (SP). Yes it has instant-on if the corded remote is used (from looking at the back of the unit in the windshield shot, it doesn't look like they're using one!).
    Nothing else really notable about these units.

3. What are those two antennas on the top of the car? I don't think I saw any on the trunk.
    Police radio. They'll probably work better on the roof.

4. I didn't get a picture of the front of it, but what is that box under the registration, to the left of the radar gun? Is that part of the radar unit?
    Yes, that is part of the radar unit, the "display" or "counter" unit.

Here's a picture of the front of the unit:

There's a larger picture on my webpage for "Radar Verifier". Click the "Radar Verifier" link fron this page:
    http://www.kc8unj.com/radar/index.html

5. Any bugs or false speed readings this guns gives? Not likely I'd get a ticket but good to know if anyone else I know does.
    Nothing really too notable, same as other units. It is an older unit though.

6. (edit) Is that a K or Ka band gun? What frequency? I know Campus Safety has SUVs (maybe Tahoes) and I get Ka from those... I'm starting to wonder if I've ever passed an Impala, but I DO get readings from when they're parked. I've passed a few of the SUVs and know I get Ka from those. I've never heard a K reading on campus.
    K-Band. ALL K-Band police radar is 24.150 GHz +/- 100 MHz (except for a few photo radar units at 24.125 GHz that are not often used in the US if at all).

Jim

Speed Demon

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to find a Tahoe and take pictures. Must be using something different.

EDIT: Where is that radar gun's antenna?

Scratonicity Groupie

that looks just like the one they use here on base. its awful I pick it up like a half mile before I ever get to base! haha

Advanced Member

EDIT: Where is that radar gun's antenna?
    The long octagon-shaped thing with the KR-10 on the side is the antenna.

Speed Demon

I walked to where they park their vehicles and found a Tahoe. I got yelled at, lol!

Conversation just now:

Campus Safety: HEY!! Come over here!!! Why are you taking pictures of our cars?
    Me: Because I can.
    Campus Safety: That's not a reason... really, why were you doing it?
    Me: I like cars.
    Campus Safety: I'm not buying that.
    Me: It's parked crooked... that's a parking violation.
    Campus Safety: We're really busy, now tell me why you were taking pictures?
    Me: I wanted to see what kind of radar guns you guys are using.
    Campus Safety: Why?
    Me: (thinks to myself... because you guys don't know how to use them and I want to understand why)...
    ----

I was right, it's a different gun in the Tahoes. Is this battery powered or what? What kind of gun is it? I am guessing I just picked up parked Tahoes where they forgot to turn their guns off, since I've never heard a K alert.

They were mad about me taking pics because people jump on their cars and dent them and stuff. I wish I could double park my car and say I was too busy to straighten it out. :roll:

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz

Yes it has instant-on if the corded remote is used (from looking at the back of the unit in the windshield shot, it doesn't look like they're using one!).

Jim
    Instant on can also be used without the remote with this unit - it has a hold button on the main unit. This unit is not reliable on interstate highways but good in one lane highways and close encounters.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz

Yes it has instant-on if the corded remote is used (from looking at the back of the unit in the windshield shot, it doesn't look like they're using one!).

Jim
    Instant on can also be used without the remote with this unit - it has a hold button on the main unit. This unit is not reliable on interstate highways but good in one lane highways and close encounters.
    Oh really? Not on mine it doesn't:

It also indicates in the manual that a remote is required to put the unit into HOLD.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Trooper? The case looks same but it DOES have a hold button on the main unit...

Jim

Advanced Member

I was right, it's a different gun in the Tahoes. Is this battery powered or what? What kind of gun is it? I am guessing I just picked up parked Tahoes where they forgot to turn their guns off, since I've never heard a K alert.

It is a Kustom Falcon (like the one I am holding in my avatar), but it is a K-Band unit, there aren't any Ka band versions to my knowledge. There are battery powered versions of the Falcon, but I don't think that is one of them...

Jim

Speed Demon

Hmmm, interesting. I'll check more vehicles as I see them. I've heard Ka band come from them (I have a Whistler 1744). If I get yelled at, who cares? I told the guy I was a CJ minor and he left me alone after all that.

I'll keep my camera with me now that the weather will give me a storage place for it. :wink: