Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default Speeding tickets for revenue? Or safety?

I wish I had the VCR going, or DVR or something...I would post a video clip.

We've all been round and round on this, and going back and forth on some of the LEO forums, arguing whether or not speeding tickets were purely revenue generators or truely a concern for highway safety.

Had the TV on this morning getting ready for work and they did a story about how Otsego County (Michigan) was stepping up highway enforcement in an effort to generate more revenue because of a tax deficit. Hmmm... I think most of us on this forum already knew this, but this goes to prove what the real purpose of this is.

Granted, there are some unsafe drivers out there, speeding recklessly, weaving in and out constantly. Where are the cops when you need them, like when these people are around. Usually, it's the person who's running late for work, or driving 80 in a 70 when there's no traffic on the road that gets stuck with it. Why don't they generate revenue on the idiots rather than everybody else? Anywhoo....

Advanced Member

I have seen PA local cops admit that the reason they can't use radar or laser is the state says these small towns would use it for revenue.

State highway patrol id like to think is just giving tickets to be safe. NY is generous you can get up to 80mph in a 65 with out them shaking a fist most of the time..

I do think locals use tickets for money and state police do it for both money and safety.

I love how LEO deny speed traps...If they were more visible les accidents would occur

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Scratonicity Groupie

If I could get a doctrine in something it would be this very topic. 99% of it is always revenue!!! NJ & DE both are in the whole by a few million so whats the answer?? Raise the tolls, raise the traffic enforcement...

Good Citizen

comon.do u think its safe going 95 in a 65?

I live in nj and the speed limmit on the park way is 65 i was crousin at 80 in the middle lane with a cop behind me ...didnt get pulled over. if they wonted money i would get pulled over...

Advanced Member

on I-80 up to school i was going 90-100mph for 5miles! That was a fast day

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

I always said "where are the cops when you see guys like that!!!" .......and........"how come you never see cops pull over tractor trailors".............. Then one day on my way to work when I was living in Albany a tractor trailor just blaitently ran me off the road!!!! My heart was pounding like crazy as I was forced to drift my car into the grass off the highway. Right after I got the hell outta the way.........thank God...........a state trooper blew by me and lit up the tractor trailor. That was pretty damn satisfying I must say. Haven't thought that way since.
    So.............sometimes it IS for safety but there is an underlying need for the cash too...........afterall........everything in our world is driven by money somehow right?

Professional

Drive I94 in Michigan. You will see TONS of tractor trailers pulled over by the MSP Motor Carrier Division. They can pull commercial vehicles over for anything from speeding to improper weight distribution. I94 is also a main corridor from Chicago to Detroit...hence the convoy of semi's you will always see on this road.

Lead Foot

It's all about revenue. A big chunk of that fine goes into the cop's retirement fund.

Newcomer

Default Re: Speeding tickets for revenue? Or safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus

We've all been round and round on this, and going back and forth on some of the LEO forums, arguing whether or not speeding tickets were purely revenue generators or truely a concern for highway safety.

What LEO forums are you visiting?

Yoda of Radar

Here they have a major deficit, extremely high taxes, an unhappy population and all the government workers are on strike for more money that isn't there, so they want to put photoradars! again... The law has even been changed to accept them :shock:

95 in a 65 safe? damn right! Well, depends on the 65 zone. Anyone ever have to run down I87 in NY? You could go 165 and you'd be bored, until all those Super Troopers go after you!