Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    Link?

Is it instant on? Always on? Stationary? Moving Mode?

Thanks!
    As long as you are pulling the trigger radar is on you can do instant or constant and it works best when you are stationary

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

If I did it while moving and shot a car, would I have to add my car's speed to the number it gives?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc
    If I did it while moving and shot a car, would I have to add my car's speed to the number it gives?
    subtract your speed

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

I just found out from mph that i can get a beeIII ka unit with 2 antennas for 3,500 brand new :cry: thats alot of cash! i guess i will go head and get a kutom talon ka radar gun insted but used.i get the pappers for it and tuneing forks and everything ready to work for a little over $1,000 :wink: all i know i we be testing a alot of my friends rds and stuff and also folks that i see with rmr scamblers i will test for free some i will charge

carlito

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by carlito
    I just found out from mph that i can get a beeIII ka unit with 2 antennas for 3,500 brand new :cry: thats alot of cash! i guess i will go head and get a kutom talon ka radar gun insted but used.i get the pappers for it and tuneing forks and everything ready to work for a little over $1,000 :wink: all i know i we be testing a alot of my friends rds and stuff and also folks that i see with rmr scamblers i will test for free some i will charge

carlito

LOL, Yeah, charge the RMR folks.

Lead Foot

Default Re: License to operate radar gun?

Quote Originally Posted by computersoc View Post
    If I'd buy a radar gun to play around with, would I need a license since it's operating in a licensed spectrum I believe?

How cheap of a hand held gun could I get appx:
    1. K band always on
    2. K band instant on
    3. Ka band instant on

Are dash mount ones cheaper? I sometimes drive two cars, so how do they attach to the dash?

Thanks!
    Yes part 90 unless it's Part 15 compliant, FCC not going to issue you Part 90 unless you can prove you need it for an approve job or operation.

Lead Foot

Default Re: License to operate radar gun?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    First, here's the license info:

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/...6/da962040.pdf

PUBLIC NOTICE
    FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
    Released: December 9, 1996 DA 96-2040

The FCC continues to receive many inquiries about regulations governing police radar, radar detectors, and other radar devices used to measure the speed of an object. This Notice explains the scope of FCC regulation over these devices. It updates and supersedes the Public Notice on the same subject dated August 1, 1985.

Radar units are transceivers, i.e. they both transmit and receive a signal, and operate under rules for the Radiolocation Service contained in Part 90 of the FCC's Rules. As such, they are certified and authorized by the FCC under Parts 2 and 90 of the FCC's Rules. Part 90 specifies the frequencies and technical standards for radar units, but does not address how radar units are to be operated as devices to measure an object's speed. Also, the FCC Rules do not contain provisions concerning the calibration of radar units, the reliability of the readings, or operator capability requirements.

Radar units are used by police and other public safety agencies to measure vehicle speeds. Under Part 90 of the rules, licensees in the Public Safety Radio Pool (such as state or local government entities), that already have a FCC license for a radio communications system, may operate radar units without obtaining a separate license for them. Radar units may also be used under Part 90 by non-public safety entities such as professional baseball teams, tennis clubs, automobile and boat racing organizations, private transportation firms, railroads, etc., to measure the speed of objects or vehicles. Non-public safety users, however, are required to obtain a Part 90 license from the Commission for use of radar units. Additionally, many public safety agencies also operate unattended, low-power, transmit-only radar units under Part 15 of the FCC's Rules.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is the federal agency concerned with the enforcement of highway speed limits and with the operation of radar as enforcement tools. Information on NHTSA regulations concerning radar use can be obtained from the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh St., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20590.

Radar jammers are transmitters tuned to interfere with ("jam") a radar signal. The intentional use of jammers is considered "malicious interference" and is strictly prohibited by the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, as well as by FCC Rules. Anyone using a jammer risks such penalties as losing an FCC licenses, paying a fine, or facing criminal prosecution.

Radar detectors are radio receivers tuned to receive radar signals and are used by motorists to provide a warning of any radar activity in the vicinity. In this regard, the FCC regulations pertaining to receivers do not address the subject of radar detectors. The use of radar detectors by members of the public, therefore, does not constitute in itself a violation of FCC Rules. Some jurisdictions, however, have local regulations or statutes concerning the use of radar detectors. Inquiries about such statutes should be directed to local law enforcement authorities.

In summary, the FCC Rules regulate radar transmitting units but provide limited regulation over receivers, with the subject of radar detectors not being specifically addressed in the FCC Rules. For more information about the subject of this notice, contact the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Public Safety and Private Wireless Division, at (202) 418-0680.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION RADAR GUNS Title 47 Code of Federal Regulations - Telecommunications Part 90 - Private Land Mobile Radio Services Subpart H - Policies Governing the Assignment of Frequencies Rule 90.20 Public Safety Pool Rule Section 90.20(f)(4) states:

"A licensee of a radio station in this service may operate radio units for the purpose of determining distance, direction, speed, or position by means of a radiolocation device on any frequency available for radiolocation purposes without additional authorization from the Commission, provided type accepted equipment or equipment authorized pursuant to 90.203(b)(4) and (b)(5) of this part is used, and all other rule provisions are satisfied. A licensee in this service may also operate, subject to all of the foregoing conditions and on a secondary basis, radio units at fixed locations and in emergency vehicles that transmit on the frequency 24.10 GHz, both unmodulated continuous wave radio signals and modulated FM digital signals for the purpose of alerting motorists to hazardous driving conditions or the presence of an emergency vehicle. Unattended and continuous operation of such transmitters will be permitted." No Federal Communications Commission requirement exists that the make and model of the radar gun be recorded on the radio station license.

Here's the radar gun info:

Depending on how new the gun is, features etc, you could get a K-Band gun for $100 on up to $1000. Ka units frequently go for around $1000 or more, but you can find a deal once in a while.

Jim
    Yes you need a licence unless Part 15 compliant.