Radar Fanatic

Default ofcom says detectors cause interference to police radar!

i've found on the uk's ofcom site a pdf of their detector tests which they say...

4.1 Findings
    All of the DUTís radiated high-level emissions across a range of frequencies in two
    distinct microwave bands (11.4 to 12.1 GHz, and 22.8 to 24.2 GHz approximately). The
    magnitude of these emissions was typically 3 mW in the lower frequency band and
    12 mW in the upper frequency band.
    Practical tests demonstrated that the emissions in the lower frequency band (11.4 to 12.1
    GHz) were of a sufficient magnitude to cause interference to a nearby Sky digital satellite
    installation.
    A theoretical assessment indicates with reasonable confidence, that the DUTís tested do
    have the potential to cause interference to police radar speed meters operating in the
    24.05 to 24.15 GHz band.
    4.2 Observations
    Emission limits are set in specifications and standards to protect radio services from
    interference. Although there appears to be no specification or limit for the DUTís, it is
    noted that the magnitude of the spurious emissions measured would fail to meet the
    requirements of any known standard or specification, including those applicable to radio
    transmitters.
    The radiated emissions from the DUTís tested, which are in effect dual-band (12/24
    GHz) receivers, exceed the 30 dBpW radiated limit for direct to home satellite receiving
    systems (EN 55013) by 60 dB at 12 GHz and 70 dB at 24 GHz. Radiated emissions of
    this magnitude must be considered excessive and unacceptable.
    The magnitude of the radiated emissions measured suggest that the designer and
    manufacturer have made no attempt to limit the interference potential of these DUTís.

oh well i'm still using my snooper hay its better than rmr!

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...project706.pdf

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/research/tec.../rtcg/#content

i find it runny how they say all of this and what do they do about it nothing. just like the fcc trying to get rmr's mike chruchman!

Experienced

Well over a year ago now, the FAA requires detectors to be turneed off before entering an ATC facility because of interference tracked to some detectors. My take is that the interference is from some cheap/leaky detectors.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by zappy
    Well over a year ago now, the FAA requires detectors to be turneed off before entering an ATC facility because of interference tracked to some detectors. My take is that the interference is from some cheap/leaky detectors.
    ...which is interesting, because that's what FCC approval is supposed to be all about -- making sure that devices aren't leaking RF at levels that can cause harmful interference.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell
    ...which is interesting, because that's what FCC approval is supposed to be all about -- making sure that devices aren't leaking RF at levels that can cause harmful interference.
    This mandate was actually established before RD's required FCC certification. Probably one of many reasons why the FCC started requiring it of RD's. Good point though, it shouldn't be an issue any more.