Thread: Radar fanboys?

Professional

Default Radar fanboys?

Just a wild topic idea I had reading some of these "Big Three" threads, and figured I'd ask.

How is it that a radar detector can come to have "fanboys" who hype their detector of choice, bashing all others and those who own them? Without naming names, there are a few examples of this on the board, and it always confounds me. Sports fanboys, ok, I can understand that. You grow up in Chicago and you're always going to harbor some inexplainable love for the Bears. But how does one get to the point of "my (insert detector name here) is better than every other detector out there, and anyone who disagrees with me is st00pid!"?

Professional

everyone has their own opinion and bias. in my case i've got a bel v995 that i like but i'd much rather have a v1. i'm rather biased toward bel's for no reason at all, but now that i'm seeing more and more people with x50's, i almost wish i'd have forked out the extra $30 (i think) and got that.

same thing with laser jammers, some are die hard blinder fans who wont get anything but a blinder and then there are the AL6 fans who are saying screw blinder, i want the AL6 when it gets to the US

just my opinion

Speed Demon

In my opinion , youll never be able to have real answers to your questions. Everybody is biased towards something, we see this everywhere, this board is a good example but its everywhere. People who review cars are biased a lot too. I personaly own a X50, i love it and recomend it to anyone but i cant say its the best because i never tried a V1 or a RX65 and some people dont undersand that part.

Longsnowsm

I'd switch "teams" in a heartbeat if I saw something better than what I have... It is just I am pretty happy with what I have right now compared to the competition. Hence all the "FANatic" behavior If the competition steps up and gives me what I want I will be ready to hop on board.

I want to see a GPS screen with maps, and a radar/laser signal overlay on screen indicating the direction of the threat and the number of threats. I would like to see on the screen what is coming up(terrain, road features etc.) as I am driving and where the possible threat is coming from. Anybody have something like that coming to market soon?

Drive smart integrates a GPS in their unit, but I have not seen the screens or directional information I am looking for... I want the complete command/control center!

Longsnowsm

Radar Fanatic

DEMOCRACY, a word that I wasn't allowed to use and embrace for the first 26 years of my life, means sharing, expressing a wide range of ideas, oppinions, voices, all done in a peaceful and, hopefully, constructive manner... the more the diverse the opinions, the better chances the best idea will ultimatelly prevail for the sake of everybody in need...

Good Citizen

Some people just have product loyalty like that. It's like that with anything - a car, bread, mascara...you name it.

I have a friend that works for Ford, at their plant in...Romulus, I wanna say. She says that if people show up in anything other then a Ford vehicle, something happens to their cars - some people will just key it, some will take the tires, some will go as far as to take the starter!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Longsnowsm
    I'd switch "teams" in a heartbeat if I saw something better than what I have... It is just I am pretty happy with what I have right now compared to the competition. Hence all the "FANatic" behavior If the competition steps up and gives me what I want I will be ready to hop on board.

I want to see a GPS screen with maps, and a radar/laser signal overlay on screen indicating the direction of the threat and the number of threats. I would like to see on the screen what is coming up(terrain, road features etc.) as I am driving and where the possible threat is coming from. Anybody have something like that coming to market soon?

Drive smart integrates a GPS in their unit, but I have not seen the screens or directional information I am looking for... I want the complete command/control center!

Longsnowsm
    Hell Long if your gonna go that far I'd rather just have a space ship :P ...........like to see a radar gun clock THAT. Or better yet.......I'd like to see a Crown Vic catch up to it :twisted:

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Longsnowsm
    I want to see a GPS screen with maps, and a radar/laser signal overlay on screen indicating the direction of the threat and the number of threats. I would like to see on the screen what is coming up(terrain, road features etc.) as I am driving and where the possible threat is coming from. . .
    I want the complete command/control center!
    You forgot - "and I want it for 3 easy payments of just $19.95"

A wise friend of mine once said something about computer operating systems that I think applies here. He said: "Use what you like and ridicule everything else."

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by theresa
    I have a friend that works for Ford, at their plant in...Romulus, I wanna say. She says that if people show up in anything other then a Ford vehicle, something happens to their cars some will go as far as to take the starter!
    it's so that they will work just like the rest of the guys driving the Fords, no start!