Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WNY (sometimes)
    Posts
    1,566

    Default and "they" claim that traffic fines are for s

    Toronto's LEO's have been on a "work to rule" campaign as of late. They're not stopping drivers for routine things and are issuing warnings instead of tickets. (Haven't seen a laser trap in about a week!!)

    Now, the city is complaining of lost revenue. Imagine that!! Who would have thought that traffic tickets were to generate money. After all, any gov't, quasi-gov't, official, or unofficial source has ALWAYS claimed it was solely for safety reasons.

    Excerpt from the Toronto Star (Toronto's left-wing, politically ultra-correct daily newspaper)...

    "The city has already lost $500,000 in traffic ticket revenue since the Toronto police union announced a job action 10 days ago, but with this week's escalation it's expecting to take a much larger hit" Toronto Star, Oct 21,

  2. #2
    Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North of 45 //
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Same thing here in PQ , the Sq is pressuring for a new contract . So no radar , no laser , all summer long. I see them sitting in their cruiser their heads almost dropping on the steering ... time is long. The chief of their association is saying that they are as efficient without issuing tickets :yeaaa agree on that.

    The SQ did the same thing in 2001 , and the SAAQ (société assurance automobile du Québec) stated in their 2002 report that they were not more fatalities during this ''no tickets'' period .

    Some times they ticket for safety , most of the time is for money : 20%/80%.

    There is a difference between safe speed and legal speed , but the law is the law and that is why we need those little boxes .

  3. #3
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    The problem is that when they "Settle' their contract they will be odered by the "Officials" to make up the lost revenue.

    They will be out there with a Vengence.......

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the horn13
    The problem is that when they "Settle' their contract they will be odered by the "Officials" to make up the lost revenue.

    They will be out there with a Vengence.......
    That's for the next (spring 2006) traffic season, so far, since I've seen the very first laser trap (1996), I still have to drive by a laser cop during the winter season :roll:

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    I still have to drive by a laser cop during the winter season :roll:
    So isn't that a "good" thing........ :?

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    If you look at the facts, not only the aforementioned, it is rather obvious that ticketing people is far less for safety then revenue. I say this for a variety of reasons....lets use some logic here:


    If the sole purpose for 'speed traps' (of any kind -lidar,vascar,yourspeedisradar, photoradar, radar-) was to keep traffic at a slower pace and a "said" safer pace then police should embrace the use of RD'S (not jammers laser or radar).

    If you look at the facts on a Thruway lets say, when a cop sets a speed trap they are doing it to catch speeders who are going at an 'said unsafe speed'. Now this is all well and good except for the fact that it is in fact a very dangerous proposition without the use of constant on and RD'S. IF the whole point of these traps was the propel safe speeds, the cops would leave their radars on all the time (since a person without an RD wouldn’t know anyways) and the person with the RD would pick up the signal ahead of time lets say 1/2mile and would see it (RD warning) slowly increasing and have enough time to gradually slow down to the correct speed. When the average non-radar user is cruising at 80 or 82 in the 65 on the thruway and they have no advance warning of the cop so their natural reaction is to SLAM ON THE BINDERS when they see the trap causing an outrageous display of acrobatic driving maneuvers by those behind them to not slam into them. Mind you that if the cop does not ticket them, you can pretty well bet that once that cop is out of sight they will pick their speed to a slightly slower 78MPH instead of 80 or so (this would do absolutely nothing and would be no safer then driving at the previous 80, it would be hard to argue and say "yea if i was going 80mph i would have hit that deer, but since i was only going 78 because that cop set me straight, i had a lot of extra time to slow down"

    We can deduct from this, using logic, that if cops to generate safety first and revenue as a bi-product, they would always use constant on and would push for people to use radar detectors. The RD allows the person with it to slow down accordingly over a longer distance, so basically I am saying since the RD owner knows its coming, they go slower for longer and slow down to the correct speed gradually, instead of speeding right until they can see the officer and slam on the brakes cause all sorts of dangerous situations only to speed back up to a few MPH under what they previously was doing.

    NOT ONLY THIS we could say that they(officers) should embrace it for another reason, to get to a crime scene or emergency situation faster. If they use their constant on whether in the city or highway if everyone had an RD they would be actively looking around for the unit and in all odds see it before one who doesn’t have an RD (we have all seen the Twinkies in the city listening to their music and not checking their mirrors....and the cops are stacked up behind them and have to dive into oncoming traffic to pass the loon...because they don’t see them coming.

    *(I love when im in the city and i get an ever increasing k or ka band so i start actively checking my mirrors (even more then i already do).... and see the flashing lights out of one of the three (or 2 mirrors if im on the bike) coming up behind me....so i slowly and gracefully signal and pull off to the side of the road about 15 or 20 seconds before the cops comes by....and then people wonder wtf and pass me then i see them dive off the side of the road like a mad-man when the cop is only 3 or 4 seconds behind them and they have effectively slowed him up to saving someone’s life.)*

    There are just so many things you could use to prove that its all about revenue rather then safety, not to mention the fact i know my fair share of state troopers, and DEC officers, and am actively trying to become an NYS Trooper (I hate only being 18, and having minimum age requirements haha).

  7. #7
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    If you look at the facts, not only the aforementioned, it is rather obvious that ticketing people is far less for safety then revenue. I say this for a variety of reasons....lets use some logic here:


    If the sole purpose for 'speed traps' (of any kind -lidar,vascar,yourspeedisradar, photoradar, radar-) was to keep traffic at a slower pace and a "said" safer pace then police should embrace the use of RD'S (not jammers laser or radar).

    If you look at the facts on a Thruway lets say, when a cop sets a speed trap they are doing it to catch speeders who are going at an 'said unsafe speed'. Now this is all well and good except for the fact that it is in fact a very dangerous proposition without the use of constant on and RD'S. IF the whole point of these traps was the propel safe speeds, the cops would leave their radars on all the time (since a person without an RD wouldn’t know anyways) and the person with the RD would pick up the signal ahead of time lets say 1/2mile and would see it (RD warning) slowly increasing and have enough time to gradually slow down to the correct speed. When the average non-radar user is cruising at 80 or 82 in the 65 on the thruway and they have no advance warning of the cop so their natural reaction is to SLAM ON THE BINDERS when they see the trap causing an outrageous display of acrobatic driving maneuvers by those behind them to not slam into them. Mind you that if the cop does not ticket them, you can pretty well bet that once that cop is out of sight they will pick their speed to a slightly slower 78MPH instead of 80 or so (this would do absolutely nothing and would be no safer then driving at the previous 80, it would be hard to argue and say "yea if i was going 80mph i would have hit that deer, but since i was only going 78 because that cop set me straight, i had a lot of extra time to slow down"

    We can deduct from this, using logic, that if cops to generate safety first and revenue as a bi-product, they would always use constant on and would push for people to use radar detectors. The RD allows the person with it to slow down accordingly over a longer distance, so basically I am saying since the RD owner knows its coming, they go slower for longer and slow down to the correct speed gradually, instead of speeding right until they can see the officer and slam on the brakes cause all sorts of dangerous situations only to speed back up to a few MPH under what they previously was doing.

    NOT ONLY THIS we could say that they(officers) should embrace it for another reason, to get to a crime scene or emergency situation faster. If they use their constant on whether in the city or highway if everyone had an RD they would be actively looking around for the unit and in all odds see it before one who doesn’t have an RD (we have all seen the Twinkies in the city listening to their music and not checking their mirrors....and the cops are stacked up behind them and have to dive into oncoming traffic to pass the loon...because they don’t see them coming.

    *(I love when im in the city and i get an ever increasing k or ka band so i start actively checking my mirrors (even more then i already do).... and see the flashing lights out of one of the three (or 2 mirrors if im on the bike) coming up behind me....so i slowly and gracefully signal and pull off to the side of the road about 15 or 20 seconds before the cops comes by....and then people wonder wtf and pass me then i see them dive off the side of the road like a mad-man when the cop is only 3 or 4 seconds behind them and they have effectively slowed him up to saving someone’s life.)*

    There are just so many things you could use to prove that its all about revenue rather then safety, not to mention the fact i know my fair share of state troopers, and DEC officers, and am actively trying to become an NYS Trooper (I hate only being 18, and having minimum age requirements haha).
    Totally agree with your fair analysis
    Two years ago I got a speeding ticket on I-390 south of Rochester close to PA border, he was waiting in the cruiser, off road, on a curve, facing the oncomming traffic... I paid the ticket by mail and it never evr showed-up in my Ontario driving record... since begining of July this year I'm using a Solo S2, plus Veil and LS, so I'm better prepared now than before...
    And my very best wishes of success in achieving your final goal of becoming a NYS trooper... your very young so lots of time ahead in your long life :wink:

  8. #8
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    There are just so many things you could use to prove that its all about revenue rather then safety, not to mention the fact i know my fair share of state troopers, and DEC officers, and am actively trying to become an NYS Trooper (I hate only being 18, and having minimum age requirements haha).
    Well I hope you get hired on ASAP!!!
    Leave your Radar on in your patrol car......and convince your co-workers to adopt that same tactic.
    I'll feel much better driving on I90 and I87 with you on the job..... :wink:
    I don't mind slowing down at all..... at a safe pace.
    It's the "Tickets" I mind.....


  9. #9
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Westbrook, Maine, United States
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I've been listening to the scanner since 7am this morning. Our local police have been stopping just about everyone today! So far all I hear is "written warnings" for "speed". Sounds like someone got a hair across their "you-know-what" and they're stopping everyone.

    If "they" always would stop the speeders then I'd say fine, great, they are "protecting" us. BUT, I can't remember the last time "they" stopped someone from speeding in our town. (I'm not complaining)

    In the time it took me to write this note, they stopped and warned 4 people! :shock:

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    NY staties will usually allow up to 75-80 on the thruway which is more then generous

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
  3. Phony "Cop" Initiates Traffic Stop in Jackson County
    By StlouisX50 in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 01:51 PM
  4. "Souped-up"/"weekend" cars/trucks/bikes
    By TSi+WRX in forum Car Talk
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •