Lead Foot

Default Stand alone laser detector

I was wondering if anyone here used one of these devices years ago. How were they performance-wise? About the same as today's radar/laser detectors? Better? Worse?

Speedtrap Crasher

Default Re: Stand alone laser detector

I never used one but my Dad did. He knew it wouldn't avoid a ticket but he thought it was good to know what you were being shot with. I don't recall it ever going off but this was 99-01 maybe. After he sold the Audi I never saw it again.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
    I never used one but my Dad did. He knew it wouldn't avoid a ticket but he thought it was good to know what you were being shot with. I don't recall it ever going off but this was 99-01 maybe. After he sold the Audi I never saw it again.

I remember back in the day when they were available approx. early to mid 1990's they were around to suppliment radar detectors of the time. I am willing to bet they had similar performance in detecting laser as today's radar/laser detectors.

Radar Fanatic

Isn't his what we call the ZR3/4s nowadays?

I know there's been talk of taking a cobra ESD7000 disabling all of the radar features and using it as a lidar only receive to supplement some of the Bel and Whislters that aren't as good w/ LIDAR pickup

I could see one being useful for those being too broke for a jammer setup, V1 high mounter for any chance of scatter and a LIDAR detector down under or next to your plate to make sure you don't miss that you're being hit because I do see value in knowing if I'm the target.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    I could see one being useful for those being too broke for a jammer setup, V1 high mounter for any chance of scatter and a LIDAR detector down under or next to your plate to make sure you don't miss that you're being hit because I do see value in knowing if I'm the target.
    That's actually an interesting idea. You'd have to have a remote display though, does Cobra make one?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    That's actually an interesting idea. You'd have to have a remote display though, does Cobra make one?
    Sort of, the RD they make with a remote display would be way more expensive....

But for some of the great minds on here if you're doing to disect one to replace the display with some jumper wies and move the LED (cause the cobra display is as cheap as they come) is the easy part

The challenge is a case that's not going to deflect incoming LIDAR signals, but to receive is much easier than to jam so its certainly not impossible.

Professional

My Dad has a stand alone laser detector that works very well, he uses it along with his whistler xtr-105. I'll have to check and see what model it is.