Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Whistler Pro versus Bel Express

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been checking them out the past several days. Great looking community, lots of helpful and interesting info being shared here.

I haven't owned a radar detector for many years....and from the looks of things, quite a bit has changed since I last owned one. I am thinking of purchasing one, though.....not because I'm a lead foot, but because I have a bad case of Murphy's Law (if it can, it will). I could observe the speed limit 364 days out of the year but you can bet your bottom dollar I would get nailed on the 365th :wink:

I'm definitely not looking to break the bank for a "high end" detector because for one, I tend to observe or stay close to the limits for the most part (as long as I know the limit and have not strayed into unfamiliar territory and get caught up in a speed trap). But most importantly, I am definitely on a budget and simply can't afford the top dollar units (Valentine, RX65, etc.).

I know we get what we pay for....but I'm simply not prepared to pay over $150 for a radar detector nor could I afford to right now. I'm fine with something in the $125 range....and that's why I'm most particularly interested in the Whistler Pro series (58 and 73) and the Bel Express series (795, 925, and 935).

I'm curious what others can share with me about these, and how they would compare to one another (strengths, weaknesses, etc.). I've read Radar Roy's evaluation of the Whistler Pro 73, and it sounds like a great unit for the price. But I've never owned a Whistler, and it's been several years since I owned a Bel. So anything that anyone can share with me about the Bel Express and the Whistler Pro series would be fantastic.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some reviews and opinions as to this.....

Radar Fanatic

In that price range, the BEL wins hands down! A co-worker of mine has a cheaper BEL and is very happy with it. He drives faster than I do and he only has 1 ticket, that was from a radar-less cop that was pacing him. I have owned cheaper BELs and the past and they are quite good.

GTO_04

Professional

the Bel units will allways have better range on KA band. I myself own the bel express 795 and all i can say it is a very good rd for the money. and the range on ka is super good on all 2 ka freq that i have tested it with it. the 33.8 freq i have not but i am sure it does real good to. i was very :shock: ed on how good it did on picking up the talon ka radar gun. now on a stalker dual it does a better job :wink: also very few false alarms not bad better than the whistler 1730 that i have owned in the past the only Bad thing is that the led lights for K KA AND X ARE ALL THE SAME THE COLOR YELLOW. THE ONLY THING THAT WILL TIP YOU OFF ON WHAT POLICE RADAR YOU are picking up is the Sound!!they are great you can tell them apart same sounds like on the pro rx65 unit. let us know on what RD U pick.

carlito

Professional

I have a Whistler PRO58 and it not a bad unit, my only complaint that I have constantly stated was it falses to much on KA.
    Other than that it has been a good unit and has always given me plenty of warning on a real threat.
    When testing laser at the G.O.L it always gave me plenty of alert time in distance as well.
    Unless you want the voice alert I would suggest the PRO58 and save yourself some money since that is the only difference between the 2 detectors.

More people here have the whistlers than the bel 795 due to the fact the 795 is only sold at radio shack and the whistlers are cheaper.

This comparison is asked a lot of times between the whistler pro and the bel 795 and I guess I am going to have to break down and buy the 795 and do some comparing on my own.

I think either unit you will be happy with at the price range you are wanting so spend.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you buy.

Lead Foot

Thanks, GTO.....and thanks as well, carlito :wink:

So far, from what I have been reading (because that's all I can go on now, since I haven't used either model), here is what seems to be the advantages of each:

* Bel seems to have better detection when it comes to Ka band, while Whistler seems to have better detection when it comes to laser

* Whister comes with Blue LED reading, where as Bel comes with Red (depending on who you listen to, there's pros and cons to both)

* Seems that both have their fair share of falses, but that previously Whistler has a little more (but in fairness, it seems that the newer Whistler models have made significant advancements in that area).

* Bel offers an automatic memory retention feature, not sure if the Whistler does

* Whistler Pro offers POP, where as the Bel Express series does not

* Whistler comes with a 2 year warranty, while Bel offers a 1 year warranty

These are just the differences that stick out to me at the moment.....because otherwise they seem to be pretty comparable. And since I am not loyal to either manufacturer and do not personally know the quality of each, I'm just looking for the best value and performance for the $$$. I'll be really interested to see if anyone has used both models or series and can do a side by side comparison of sorts.....

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    More people here have the whistlers than the bel 795 due to the fact the 795 is only sold at radio shack and the whistlers are cheaper.

This comparison is asked a lot of times between the whistler pro and the bel 795 and I guess I am going to have to break down and buy the 795 and do some comparing on my own.
    Thanks, boomerman....that would be great. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you find out and discover if you do decide to go that route.

I think either unit you will be happy with at the price range you are wanting so spend.
    That's kind of what I'm leaning towards believing, from all of the reviews and personal testimonies that I have seen thus far.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you buy.
    Thanks, definitely will do :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Strictly from a performance standpoint, i'd say the Bel Express would be the way to go. However, from a customer service standpoint, the Whistlers are a lot better. Roy's simply the best to buy from, and Whistler seems to have FAR better support than Bel, plus the Whistler is a two year warranty. Just be warned, going with a Whistler, you ARE going to get Ka falses. Also, if you go the Whistler route, i'd go for the Pro-96 instead of the 73 because non voice-alert whistlers are waay to quiet.

Speed Demon

I have owned the Whistler Pro 73 and in my honest opinion, I would go with one of the Bel units. I don't know what bands are used the most in your area but for me it was Ka, and the Pro 73 falsed entirely too much. I got to the point where I was starting to disregard the Ka alerts and I knew I was setting myself up for trouble. My friend has an older Bel, and it is amazingly quiet for an older unit. I also thought the range was incredible for how old it was. The Whistler is pretty and has a lot of bells and whistles, but I will take performance over this any day. I would say go with a Bel unit hands down.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    I have owned the Whistler Pro 73 and in my honest opinion, I would go with one of the Bel units. I don't know what bands are used the most in your area but for me it was Ka, and the Pro 73 falsed entirely too much. I got to the point where I was starting to disregard the Ka alerts and I knew I was setting myself up for trouble. My friend has an older Bel, and it is amazingly quiet for an older unit. I also thought the range was incredible for how old it was. The Whistler is pretty and has a lot of bells and whistles, but I will take performance over this any day. I would say go with a Bel unit hands down.
    :wink:

carlito

Lead Foot

Interesting. One thing I have heard, though, is that the Whistler Pro has better laser detection than the Bel Express, and the area which I live in has primarily gone to the laser guns. It seems that most detectors really aren't all that great at picking up laser readings very much ahead of time, because of the direct aim being used....but supposedly Whistler has pretty good laser detection, and also has POP, which the Bels don't. Just curious, but would POP ability in a detector have ANY useful effect for LASER detection???