Thread: Usefulness?

Yoda of Radar

Default Usefulness?

How often do you get serious alerts with your RD? Ie cases where the RD was a good thing you had it?

I typically find them maybe once a week, sometimes twice in the summertime, once everyday for a week last year.

In the winter I find very very few actually. Last encounter I had was in January

I've driven by cops a few times, like yesterday I was doing a solid 95km/h (60mi/h) in a 70km/h (44mi/h) overpass/onramp/merge thing, and a cop was merging in on the other side, doing a steady 100... I of course cut the detector, and slowed to about 80km/h 50mi/h behind him, he had to get off so he went behind this minivan that had slowed down to 70km/h and the cop looked pretty annoyed to be driving so painfully slow Later the same day I did some driving at around 180 to 200km/h (115 to 125) for many km but nothing Normal conditions then. How is it in your part of the woods?

Today I was driving 150km/h (95mi/h) on a straight autoroute with a stupid 70km/h limit... and the police frequent that road often (for here at least) because of that...

Yoda of Radar

Something I forgot about the police encounter was there was a black Honda Civic behind me that honked me when I went down under 80km/h and passed me hard on the right after the cop took the exit, so I showed him some boost...

Speed Demon

In MD in the city (I live right near Wash DC so it's pretty built up), I don't even bother putting the detector up. Even if I want to speed in the city, the best I can do is a quick burst or two. In MD out of town (I haven't done this since getting the detector), it would have been useful a handful of times. In NC it's ALWAYS useful. I think since getting the detector it hasn't been useful when driving in NC twice. Every other time I've gotten in the car in NC it's picked up a trap or a cop who justleaves his detector on.

Founder of Stealthvation

BY FAR I find A LOT more use with the Blinder and Veil than my V1. Today was the first alert K band that I got in a few days. I keep my V1 on "L" advanced Logic all of the time so my False Alarms are cut down a lot. I find that in the parts of Ohio that I travel, laser is HEAVILY favored over radar.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Good Citizen

Ohio seems to be a poster child for lasers....

in chicago, ive yet to be hit by laser...but lots of k and ka

Lead Foot

As shown earlier in my profile and I spoke on in an earlier thread, my wife bought a Cobra XRS9400 for me for X-Mas. The very 1st time I drove back to VA with it, it saved me some $$$. I got a hit from a VSHP on I-95 sitting in a left side cut about 3/10ths of a mile ahead. If he had waited just a bit longer he would have probably tagged me instead of the little helpless Chevy Cavalier (like the ones in the show "HOMICIDE") in the far right lane.

Radar Fanatic

Default RX65 - Savior of clean driving records.

I pulled a nice one tonight. About 9PM, just got done working, tired, hungry, want to get home. Jump on the interstate with my RX65 on guard. Zipping down the onramp. No traffic coming for quite a while behind me, a few trucks just past the ramp. Punched the gas and dove right for the fast lane. Just as quick as I got into the outer lane, I started getting an alert on K. Dropped speed to 67 and finished my pass. Detector's signal strength was gaining fairly quick. About 1 minute later the cop passed me. I'd wager he would have nailed me if I was without detector.

I'd say i've prevented at least 5 stops in a little shy of a year by having detectors. They really do pay for themselves quick! Glad I have one of the best now, I'm sure happy with the RX65, it's a whole different game than the Radioshack and Cobra stuff I started off with.

Lead Foot

VASHP has gotten hot on screening cars in the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles) lanes (vehicles with 2 or more pass.) along I-66 between the Pentagon and Fairfax County RTE 123. Yesterday they had 2 different stop points (I-495 off-ramp westbound and RTE 241 OFF-RAMP) with as many as 4 VASHP cars stopping motorists that had no passengers. Some of the cars had radar inside and out but none of them were on. Good thing my work partner and I are ride-sharing or else I probably would have been toast. VA has a bigger fine for single occupant motorists using the HOV than they do for ILLEGAL RD use.

This HOV lane stuff is bogus too. More HOV motorists are occupying the regular lanes than the HOV lane. VA does some stupid things for traffic management...all about the mighty $$$$.

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: RX65 - Savior of clean driving records.

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    I pulled a nice one tonight. About 9PM, just got done working, tired, hungry, want to get home. Jump on the interstate with my RX65 on guard. Zipping down the onramp. No traffic coming for quite a while behind me, a few trucks just past the ramp. Punched the gas and dove right for the fast lane. Just as quick as I got into the outer lane, I started getting an alert on K. Dropped speed to 67 and finished my pass. Detector's signal strength was gaining fairly quick. About 1 minute later the cop passed me. I'd wager he would have nailed me if I was without detector.

I'd say i've prevented at least 5 stops in a little shy of a year by having detectors. They really do pay for themselves quick! Glad I have one of the best now, I'm sure happy with the RX65, it's a whole different game than the Radioshack and Cobra stuff I started off with.
    Oh yeah you went from a shack to a mansion. The RX65 is AWESOME!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Default Re: Usefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    How often do you get serious alerts with your RD? Ie cases where the RD was a good thing you had it?

I typically find them maybe once a week, sometimes twice in the summertime, once everyday for a week last year.

In the winter I find very very few actually. Last encounter I had was in January

I've driven by cops a few times, like yesterday I was doing a solid 95km/h (60mi/h) in a 70km/h (44mi/h) overpass/onramp/merge thing, and a cop was merging in on the other side, doing a steady 100... I of course cut the detector, and slowed to about 80km/h 50mi/h behind him, he had to get off so he went behind this minivan that had slowed down to 70km/h and the cop looked pretty annoyed to be driving so painfully slow Later the same day I did some driving at around 180 to 200km/h (115 to 125) for many km but nothing Normal conditions then. How is it in your part of the woods?

Today I was driving 150km/h (95mi/h) on a straight autoroute with a stupid 70km/h limit... and the police frequent that road often (for here at least) because of that...
    Quite a lot...I live on a road that is always being patroled by the local and state police. Sometimes I am in a hurry and I forget this fact and my Bell almost always gives me a heads-up of radar on the road. When I somehow forget my detector I feel very very unprotected indeed.... :cry: