Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default RD's keep me awake...

I used to commute to work about 60 miles each way 3-4 times a week and I had trouble nodding off on the final stretch home. Sometimes it would scare the HE!! out of me!

Now that I have all this beeping, talking stuff in my car I can't recall the last time I had the "nods". Tired a lot, yes, but not nodding behind the wheel.

Interesting because I now drive a LOT more than I used too...

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: RD's keep me awake...

If you have trouble with nodding off then I don't recommend the 9500ix.

Power User

I'm not sure it's the beeping that keeps me awake. I used to nod on the last 10-12 miles from home and it's a pretty quiet area...

Maybe it's just having something else to pay attention too?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    I used to commute to work about 60 miles each way 3-4 times a week and I had trouble nodding off on the final stretch home. Sometimes it would scare the HE!! out of me!

Now that I have all this beeping, talking stuff in my car I can't recall the last time I had the "nods". Tired a lot, yes, but not nodding behind the wheel.

Interesting because I now drive a LOT more than I used too...
    It may or may not be interesting to know that we have a ... I think it's called a sleep cycle -- not just the night time one (REM/deep sleep, or is that REM, ROM, RAM?)...

But a day time cycle of alertness/tired-sleepiness. The trough in the cycle just happens to correspond to the afternoon rush hour time.

Ever notice how a brew at after work "happy hour" (5 to 6pm) has more of a subjectively intoxifying effect at that time of the day, where as the same brew on the same empty stomach, more or less, has less impact at, ohh, 3:30 or 7pm? I've noticed.

The effects of alcohol are subjectively amplified, even if blood alcohol is the same. If I recall correctly.

The sleepiness you feel at the end of the day is aggravated if you're in, like most people, a chronic state of sleep deprivation.

What to do?

Turn up your radar detector.

Really truly get 7 hours sleep if you can.

Have a siesta for 30 mins at work, if you can get away with it.

Or at the end of the day, before you drag yourself home.

Hope that helps.

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    If you have trouble with nodding off then I don't recommend the 9500ix.
    X2 Truelock will put you to sleep

Radar Fanatic

*waits for zombie to crack joke..."until you hear sirens after you lock a cop out"*

Newcomer

dude this happens to me all the time before i got my RD. nowadays im awake cuz im constantly paying attention to it. i have a 200 mile round trip DAILY for work. starts at 6am and ends at 430pm when i finally get home. it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by chop View Post
    dude this happens to me all the time before i got my RD. nowadays im awake cuz im constantly paying attention to it. i have a 200 mile round trip DAILY for work. starts at 6am and ends at 430pm when i finally get home. it sucks.

Pretty good for a 200 mile round trip. I had a 40 mile round trip that I would leave at 6:30 AM and not get home until 7:00 PM. And that was about 2-3 hours worth of driving... for 40 miles!!

Now I work from home (translation, work from my truck) and can pick when I want to hit the road.

However, I don't mess with sleep driving. If I begin to get road hypnosis, I will pull off into a well maintained big box store parking lot (so I don't get jacked) and take a quick 10-15 minute power nap.

Experienced

I Recommend that you pull over to the side of the road and have a short rest man it's called a Micro Break it's better then relaying on a RD and it's more safer but at the end of the day it's your choice aye

Old Timer

If you get the opportunity, pull over and splash your face w/ cold water. That seems to help me. One feature I found nice on Whistler's is the RU Alert feature checking your alertness. I am not saying it is a 100% by any means but it is a nice feature.