Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default BEL795 vs Whistler PRO58

Lately I have seen where members have been asking which is better when it comes to a low end detectors the bel795 (sold at Raido Shack only) or the PRO series from Whistler.

The anwers that are sometimes given were based only on brand loyalty and not any real proof which was really better.

Well yesterday I won an auction for an BEL795 and will be able to do some comparison testing of the 2.
    Hopefully now since I will have both I can help answer some of these questions.

I know Roy does not sell the BEL795 (because he can not) but does sell the PRO73 please understand even though I am a moderator of the Whistler forum and Roy does sell the Whistler if I feel the Bel795 is a better unit I will tell you.
    You have seen where I have posted my complaints and dislikes of the Whistler PRO58 so you know I will not play favorites to either unit.

My tests will be based on daily useage such falsing, filtering and general detection. I also have a K band Kustom Falcon Radar gun that I will do testing with as well.
    I have just bought a MPH BEE model 36 X band radar unit as well to do some testing on.
    So I will give reports on X band performance and K band performance.
    Sorry I will not be able to give you any info on KA since those radar units are still expensive and I can not afford one, the same with laser guns.

Hopefully I will find some of our state boys here that use KA and will be able to give you some info on those as well.
    As for laser I am out of luck, No laser used where I live at this time.
    I know this will not be as technical as our GOL testing was but this should give some of you out there some help on deciding which is better.

Maybe once I do my testing with the k and X I can get Jimbonzzz or Sethy or Happyass to test laser for me since they seem to run into that quite often.

Radar Fanatic

you should test the Eclipse as well, id win for having the most falses for sure .

Professional

Default Re: BEL795 vs Whistler PRO58

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman
    Lately I have seen where members have been asking which is better when it comes to a low end detectors the bel795 (sold at Raido Shack only) or the PRO series from Whistler.

The anwers that are sometimes given were based only on brand loyalty and not any real proof which was really better.

Well yesterday I won an auction for an BEL795 and will be able to do some comparison testing of the 2.
    Hopefully now since I will have both I can help answer some of these questions.

I know Roy does not sell the BEL795 (because he can not) but does sell the PRO73 please understand even though I am a moderator of the Whistler forum and Roy does sell the Whistler if I feel the Bel795 is a better unit I will tell you.
    You have seen where I have posted my complaints and dislikes of the Whistler PRO58 so you know I will not play favorites to either unit.

My tests will be based on daily useage such falsing, filtering and general detection. I also have a K band Kustom Falcon Radar gun that I will do testing with as well.
    I have just bought a MPH BEE model 36 X band radar unit as well to do some testing on.
    So I will give reports on X band performance and K band performance.
    Sorry I will not be able to give you any info on KA since those radar units are still expensive and I can not afford one, the same with laser guns.

Hopefully I will find some of our state boys here that use KA and will be able to give you some info on those as well.
    As for laser I am out of luck, No laser used where I live at this time.
    I know this will not be as technical as our GOL testing was but this should give some of you out there some help on deciding which is better.

Maybe once I do my testing with the k and X I can get Jimbonzzz or Sethy or Happyass to test laser for me since they seem to run into that quite often.
    boomerman NICE!!! good to hear that u will be testing the bel epress 795 model in my opion the KA RANGE is bad to the bone way better than on the whistlers allways but anyway on k band they come close to the bel x band i realy dont know .let us know what u think peace out :wink:

carlito

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    you should test the Eclipse as well, id win for having the most falses for sure .
    I hate to say this but when the eclipse is in City mode it is very quiet!!
    So far over all it is reporting less k/ka falses than the whistler, now actual hits is a different thing. the range is terrible. hahahahahaaa

I am going to do some measuring when I do the test with the pro and bel and for fun I will add the RMR eclipse for fun.

Lead Foot

Thanks, boomerman.....glad to see you are finally putting the "speculation" to rest and are seeking the facts here. Including the RMR Eclipse just for fun is good and all, but I think the true test and most interesting aspect will definitely be addressing the Whistler Pro versus Bel Express line. If it takes a week, two weeks, or even longer....as long as you can get a thorough and accurate idea as to the comparable capabilities and pros and cons of each, that will be the main thing.

Just one question....WHAT IF....the Pro fairs better? How are you going to break the news to the Bel fans without completely crushing them? We know that's what many will certainly expect, but I'm actually thinking that the results should prove to be much closer than what most people realize. I'm guessing you will be testing the Pro-58 model rather than the Pro-73....but from what I have heard that shouldn't make much difference as far as the range of detection goes.

Thanks again, and please let us know of your findings and keep us up to date with all of the details....

Professional

I have to give some of the credit to sportsFan for pushing me to buy the 795 to test.
    I have been putting this off but he kept asking me some good questions in PM and I decided it was time to put these questions to rest

If the Whistler does better than the bel unit I guess they will have to live with the loss :P
    I will be testing the pro58 because that is what I own and the pro58 and 73 are the same unit just that the pro73 has more features.

Now if someone ones to let me borrow their PRO73 for the test I will be glad to do that as well.
    I will even pass up the testing of the eclipse and send that person the eclipse so they will not be without a radar detector hahahahahaa
    I know it is a sacrifce but I am willing to do it for the good of the forum

Newcomer

I'll be interested in hearing your reports on the Express 795. I just purchased this unit and have been using it the last few days and will be using it on a 8 hour road trip on Thursday travelling through areas that utilize a lot of KA and K band.

I've been using radar detectors for 10+ years and have a lot of experience with all the brands. I picked up the Express 795 as a back up and I can tell you from my experience thus far, the falsing has been low. I have driven past some areas where I'd get a brief false reading on a V1 in Advance Logic Mode and the 795 was quiet going by the same areas. NOTE: I am not even trying to compare these two units(v1 vs. 795). It is a no-brainer as to which one is superior.

I have ran into one speed trap, a K band trap, that the 795 gave sufficient warning time.

Here are my early highlights on the Express 795:

PROS:
    1. RJ-11 connection - I like it because I can use the RJ11 that I had hardwired for my V1.

2. Low Falsing - well, at least it seems that way so far. I know results will vary on this depending on where you live. I am in Nashville, TN, which is well populated and there are plenty of places that can set a detector off, especially the cheaper ones.

3. Decent Range - the K band trap was picked up probably a half mile away.

CONS:
    1. Display - it looks like something from 1985. If you like cool looking displays, the 795 is not for you.

2. City Mode - I don't quite understand how the city mode works on this unit. The manual states that low level signals will still reflect visually in city mode but will only make an audible sound if the signal reaches a certain strength. Real world results for me show that city band makes this unit extremely quiet. I can drive right by a grocery store and on highway mode it will go off but in city mode it is totally quiet and does not show anything visually on the display.

3. POP Detection? Radartest.com suggests this unit can pick up POP. I'd like to see more testing in this area from others.

I will follow up after my road trip this weekend if I encounter any speed traps.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo
    I'll be interested in hearing your reports on the Express 795. I just purchased this unit and have been using it the last few days and will be using it on a 8 hour road trip on Thursday travelling through areas that utilize a lot of KA and K band.

I've been using radar detectors for 10+ years and have a lot of experience with all the brands. I picked up the Express 795 as a back up and I can tell you from my experience thus far, the falsing has been low. I have driven past some areas where I'd get a brief false reading on a V1 in Advance Logic Mode and the 795 was quiet going by the same areas. NOTE: I am not even trying to compare these two units. It is a no-brainer as to which one is superior.

I have ran into one speed trap, a K band trap, that the 795 gave sufficient warning time.

Here are my early highlights on the Express 795:

PROS:
    1. RJ-11 connection - I like it because I can use the RJ11 that I had hardwired for my V1.

2. Low Falsing - well, at least it seems that way so far. I know results will vary on this depending on where you live. I am in Nashville, TN, which is well populated and there are plenty of places that can set a detector off, especially the cheaper ones.

3. Decent Range - the K band trap was picked up probably a half mile away.

CONS:
    1. Display - it looks like something from 1985. If you like cool looking displays, the 795 is not for you.

2. City Mode - I don't quite understand how the city mode works on this unit. The manual states that low level signals will still reflect visually in city mode but will only make an audible sound if the signal reaches a certain strength. Real world results for me show that city band makes this unit extremely quiet. I can drive right by a grocery store and on highway mode it will go off but in city mode it is totally quiet and does not show anything visually on the display.

3. POP Detection? Radartest.com suggests this unit can pick up POP. I'd like to see more testing in this area from others.

I will follow up after my road trip this weekend if I encounter any speed traps.
    nice! PoP MODE IT WONT DETECT AT ALL.

CARLITO

ES13Raven

Boomerman,

I would be interesting to see if there is an increase of effective range when you turn POP off.

According to Mike B at Whistler, the Pro 58 and 73 are supposed to have more sensitivity with POP off...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo
    NOTE: I am not even trying to compare these two units. It is a no-brainer as to which one is superior.
    See, now this is exactly what I meant and have been saying in my posts and PMs to you, boomerman. First ever post in this forum...and yet we already have a very biased opinion rather than factual data. That's why I said that I am "glad to see you are finally putting the "speculation" to rest and are seeking the facts here......(because) We know that's what many will certainly expect".....

And also why I said "WHAT IF....the Pro fairs better? How are you going to break the news to the Bel fans without completely crushing them?"