Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default NYS police - X Band?

I saw someone say (within a post) a while ago that they noticed a NYS police using X band. Has anyone else EVER experienced this? When I saw that message I turned X back on but it is again driving me crazy with the falses and liked it much better when it was off. I really would like to turn X off again. All I have ever seen around here (upstate NY) is the locals using K and Ka and the staties using Ka and laser. Any advice?

Advanced Member

Staties only use Ka and Laser but they do have a K-band or two here and there.....I leave X-band on during my travels cause i never know what i might see. Around NYC i turn off X-band due to all the falses and I have run into K, ka and Laser

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

I have never run into X Band in NYS......but I still leave it on obn my RD.....you just never know..... :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Turn on X band and run the City NoX mode in places with lots of falses. That way, X is on when in highway mode, and off in city mode.

Radar Fanatic

i think he has a v1 so noX or city mode isnt an option.

But anyway, i live in NYC and went to college in upstate NY (syracuse) and have driven on pretty much EVERY major highway MANY MANY MANY of times, so much i know all the traps on most of the highways in cny, and what guns are used in what areas. I mean i have driven at every time of the day from afternoon to sunrise.
    --->THERE IS NO X BAND IN NY STATE OR NYC PERIOD.

Disable it. I mean if your paranoid that your detector doesnt go off when you pass a LEO, i doubt its that they have a x-band radar, they probably have their unit off.

But don't EVER forget once you cross the GW, turn that baby back on because as u know NJ is relentless.

and again to whoever got an X-band from a leo in ny, it was most likely a false in the same area. I wouldn't keep X on as all the falses make u kinda hit the mute button so much u get disgusted with the v1 and might tend to ignore a real alert. plus if ur getting falsing it takes up bogeys making it much more confusing to identify the real threat.

Good Citizen

Default Re: NYS police - X Band?

I've seen NYS Troopers using K, Ka, and Laser.

I personally got hit with X band from a Saratoga County Sheriff shooting instant-on at a stop sign to see how much people were slowing/stopping for it. -- This was on/around Winter 2004, and it was not a false, as there are no false alarms nearby where that was, AND I was very curious myself so I stopped a bit down the road after I passed and monitored what was going on, and they were definitely using instant on X and it was coming from the LEO that I saw..

if you're paranoid, don't disable it, because someone might take a hint from NJ and start shooting X assuming most people would disable it, and you're SOL.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by squonk
    I saw someone say (within a post) a while ago that they noticed a NYS police using X band. Has anyone else EVER experienced this? When I saw that message I turned X back on but it is again driving me crazy with the falses and liked it much better when it was off. I really would like to turn X off again. All I have ever seen around here (upstate NY) is the locals using K and Ka and the staties using Ka and laser. Any advice?

Good Citizen

Thanks for the replies guys. I have an RX65. I guess I could put it in city with loX. I may just disable it though. It has gotten to the point that every time I hear X Band I just assume it is a false (like crying wolf) I know the locals around here use K and Ka. Although there are a LOT of little towns around here and they all have their own PD's. Maybe I will leave it on for a while and just make damn sure I dont see it anywhere............I just dont know. Hate the falses though. I can deal with the K falses because they dont happen as often.

Newcomer

I've only see Troopers with Ka and Laser. K band in my town. No X.

Speed Demon

I do a lot of driving from Albany to Rochester, and everywhere in between. I've seen Ka and laser mostly from Troopers. Very few K if they have an older Trooper car (Camaro or something).

Saratoga County uses K band. I was talking to a Deputy there and someone had a radar detector. Sounds to me like some Deputies use constant on and some use instant on there.

When up in Saratoga, I turned X on to see if I'd get anything from the State Park Police, but they didn't have their guns on. I should have taken a picture of the inside of their cars, since I looked.

Yoda of Radar

I have never heard of a NYST (By the way they are called troopers not the police -that is to the original poster-) use an X-band gun. I live in upstate NY and travel all over the state...via thruway, and other roads, and have have innumerable KA-band encounters, a decent (not really many...and none as of recent) amount of k, and 2 Laser from the State Troopers.

On all my detectors I always leave the X-band active (the ones that have the function to switch it off anyways), for the fact that...when I hear the x-band tone (whatever it may be on a certain detector) I disregaurd it... The only time I ever pay attention is if it actually starts to climb on the up there LED's. Since most of my falses (whatever they may be) are weak and stay rather low I know they are falses and they do not bother me. I leave it on because once a CCSheriff had a x-band going one day...ever since then I always leave it on. I dnk what it was (I was under the impression the CCSheriffs used mostly K, and have started a push towards KA in the recent years). Like I said just last yr I had a positive x-band hit from a sheriff coming around a slight curve 1.5miles away (not warning range)... distance from where he was sitting from my house