Good Citizen

Default Where do i put my RX65 on my windshield?

Where do i put my RX65 on my windshield?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Where do i put my RX65 on my windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by FastLane
    Where do i put my RX65 on my windshield?
    There is no set awnser for this (matter of opinion), you can use the search function on this board to awnser this very common question.

To sum it up (most would agree):
    RD mounted high = Slightly better Radar detection
    RDmounted low = slightly better laser detection

Radar Fanatic

General rule - if your car is an easy target for laser, mount high. If it's a harder target (dark color, small headlights, no front plate, minimal chrome, or a veil treatment) low mounting might be better for you. Regardless, make sure that the detector is level, points straight ahead, and is not behind the wipers.

Good Citizen

Default Mounting

Thanks Guys. I have a black range rover so I guess Ill mount it high. Is it illegal to have a radar detector in NJ?

Advanced Member

Nope you're good only VA and Eastern Cdn provinces. Commercial over a certain weight is another story. But... some people dont like to cops to see them to avoid harassment .. ie silly tickets.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    General rule - if your car is an easy target for laser, mount high. If it's a harder target (dark color, small headlights, no front plate, minimal chrome, or a veil treatment) low mounting might be better for you. Regardless, make sure that the detector is level, points straight ahead, and is not behind the wipers.
    How about if you have a white Corvette Coupe with the darkest tint in rear window and moderate on side windows, no front plate is it better to mount up high in front of rear view mirror, or under visor just above your head where it's high or a dash mount which is low? As for the suction cup mounts I have usually used those up by the visor instead of a visor clip . I don't like to put the detector way out front in middle of windshield for everyone else to see.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by LS2
    How about if you have a white Corvette Coupe with the darkest tint in rear window and moderate on side windows, no front plate is it better to mount up high in front of rear view mirror, or under visor just above your head where it's high or a dash mount which is low? As for the suction cup mounts I have usually used those up by the visor instead of a visor clip . I don't like to put the detector way out front in middle of windshield for everyone else to see.
    That'd really be your call. That car would be a little tougher target than most because of the headlights and the lack of a front plate, so you might have a chance of picking up laser before your speed is read. If you have no jammer, and laser is a big concern where you are, you might be better off with a low mount. Sure would be a drag to get the car broken into though. It's a tough call. If it were me, i'd have it low in your case.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by LS2
    I remove the detector whenever I left the car momentarily. I have to wonder though the corvette has daytime running lights that are very noticeable can one of those be used as a target for getting my speed?
    I know the older ones have the radiator at an slanted angle

That'd really be your call. That car would be a little tougher target than most because of the headlights and the lack of a front plate, so you might have a chance of picking up laser before your speed is read. If you have no jammer, and laser is a big concern where you are, you might be better off with a low mount. Sure would be a drag to get the car broken into though. It's a tough call. If it were me, i'd have it low in your case.

Radar Fanatic

The DRLs are certainly usable for laser targeting, but it's still not going to be nearly as bad as headlights, plate, etc. I'd try it both high and low and see what works well for you.