Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Radar Gun Speed Lock

I just was wondering if a policeman has to have your speed locked before he gives you a ticket. Like with Laser if he is aiming at you and sees a higher speed than what he locks you at can he pull you over and ticket you?? Same thing with Radar......some Stalker Units have fastest speed display. In addition to the target display. Say you are coming towards an LEO in which he is also driving toward you.....and he has a stalker unit. The speed limit is 55 and say you are going 70 and you have a rabbit in front of who is going about 60 and you are quickly approaching or closing in on your rabbit. But your detector shows an instant on Ka band and the officer checks his radar display and sees that it says TARGET: 60 Fastest Speed 70. While he sees this you are slamming on your brakes getting your speed to the limit before your speed reading goes to the Target Box ( your rabbit passes the officer and you are getting hit directly with the radar beam..... In that case does the officer have to wait until it is in the Target Box ( The manual says you cant lock a speed until it is in the Target Box) before he gives you a ticket??? Thanks,Isaac

Advanced Member

In general, the cop doesn't have to lock the speed at all, he only has to observe it, but some states might have additional requirements.

Many of the high-end units nowdays can have the "fastest vehicle" option, but there are special concerns for an officer to take into account when operating in that mode. Some states don't allow the use of "Fastest Vehicle Mode" at all, like mine. In fact, it is a requirement in Michigan that radar units not have the "Fastest Vehicle" feature.

Jim

Power User

In this scenario, the police officer has to figure out which vehicle is going slow and which vehicle is going faster even if you have the radar unit that displays both speeds. He can easily lock the first reading which will be the rabbit at 60mph - he already got the rabbit's speed that will be blinking on the lock display but the target display continues to monitor the speed on the next vehicle. All the officer does is just look at the target speed in situations like this and he can tell it easily which of the 2 vehicles was speeding. The officer can even tell if you slammed on your brakes because the target speed reading will be 70mph and go down to 60mph. Be advice that i'm not a police officer and is not certified in police radar use. I just did some experiment with my MPH Bee the last couple days in situations when there are 2 or more vehicles speeding even when there is a slower vehicle in front of them. Most newer police radar guns have separate display for lock, slowest speed, fastest speed and target speed. The target speeds on their display continues to monitor speed of incoming vehicles depending on the mode they are using even when the officer already made a lock for one vehicle. It only takes a fraction of a second or full second to lock a target vehicle after instant on assuming you have mastered the remote control.

To beat this situation, you have to open you eyes as wide as possible so you can see the officer first before he see's you. Like jimbonzzz said, the officer does not need to lock your speed but may be required in some states.

By the way, the new Stalker DSR radar units can track 2-4 targets simultaneously.

Administrator

Default No

I just was wondering if a policeman has to have your speed locked before he gives you a ticket.
    No, and no he has no requirement to show you the radar gun either if you ask.

Officer safety is the prevailing factor in this...
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Lead Foot

Default Re: No

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    I just was wondering if a policeman has to have your speed locked before he gives you a ticket.
    No, and no he has no requirement to show you the radar gun either if you ask.

Officer safety is the prevailing factor in this
    Yeah, Roy....kinda like the reason they give tickets is for "safety" reasons , huh? :roll:

Personally, I think is someone is going to be issued a $150+ traffic ticket and be assessed 3 points against their license and have their insurance rates raised or possibly cancelled for a speed reading from a LEO's radar gun, they SHOULD have to show the reading if the driver requests it. Otherwise, it's just a "he said, she said" in which the courts will ALWAYS side with law enforcement. If the driver sees the reading and then lies about it in court, they are guilty of more than speeding...it's now passed over into purgery. So I think it's only fair to show someone why they are about to be slammed financially other than a "because my little radar gun which you can't see said you were"......

Power User

Most speeding violators don't even care to look at the police radar unit when stopped and include me with that because they know in the first place they're guilty. All the officer does is issue you a citation and let the court judge decide the verdict. If you really want a case with a lawyer, it will cost you more than $150.

Advanced Member

Showing you the reading won't necessarily "keep the cops honest" either. If they did have to show you the reading and a cop wanted to be dishonest, he could lock any reading on there that he wants and say it is yours.

Jim

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Showing you the reading won't necessarily "keep the cops" honest either. If they did have to show you the reading and a cop wanted to be dishonest, he could lock any reading on there that he wants and say it is yours.

Jim
    EGGGG sactly

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

So what you all are saying is that if I was coming up fast on my rabbit even though he was in front getting hit directly with the radar beam....he can see that I am going 70 in a 55 and trying to slow down ....thus he can give me a ticket??? :?

Good Citizen

Why the heck do you need a rabbit then???